SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
potato_gw

No cycle in 4 months. I'm 42..why?

potato
22 years ago

I am in perimeno..my post below this describes my situation in detail...but..i was wondering if any of the ladies here have had no period in months, and if not, do you feel worse or better? Do you use any HRT when you dont have a cycle anyway in that month? What do you do? I am concerned but my doc isnt. Havent seen my cycle in 4 months even with supplemental progesterone ONLY twice!!!.....i just dont want uterine build up to cause cancer....so i want to shed..give me your input on this...thanks

Comments (59)

• mary_md7
    20 years ago

"just stick your head in the freezer for a minute and rip off your clothes, and get your hair away from your face"

LOL! Somehow, I don't think this would be appropriate in my office. Well, at least not that middle part.

• sherrylee1
    15 years ago

I feel weird discussing this at a web forum. It's embarassing enough discussing it with my doctor. I am forty two and experiencing the same symptoms as you. I was in a car wreck a couple months ago. Since My periods have dropped from 5 days to two. this is totally unheard of for me. I'm the person who never missed a day on her period accept once. They've always been like clock work and never lasted less than 5 days. For this change to suddenly take place I'm little concerned. I got a rash from pool water that hasn't cleared up. I've been running a fever since April. Just curious what this could be. I don't want to go through menapaus yet. My birthday is tomorrow. I'll be forty three. I'm just not ready for these changes. Shocked!

• Related Discussions

Toro Suzuki 2-cycle repair or replace

Q

Comments (24)
    I've had my Toro Model 20684 GTS (Suzuki 2-stroke) Mower new since 1988 and I never even changed the spark plug until yesterday. I am loosing power when it needs it and I can't understand why. It still starts in 2 or 3 pulls, the compression seems ok by the way it feels when I pull the starter rope, no scoring observed thru the intake port, (I have not checked the exhaust port yet), I rebuilt the carb yesterday because the inside diameter of the fuel line was grossly deteriorated, causing particles of rubber to clog the inlet to the carb. Interestingly the manual states no ethanol should be used because damage to the fuel system can result, I wonder if this was the cause for the grossly deteriorated fuel line? (All the gas around here states up to 10% ethanol!). The only issue with the rebuild is the governor setting, I need to figure out how to set that so the idle is back to low rpm as normal, not it seems to be left to cut speed if you know what I mean. My mistake was not to mark the relative position between the governor shaft and the governor arm, (any help anyone?). Well it looses power when it needs it, higher grass, and it is so frustrating, It runs great under no load. I believe the lower crank bearing is going because I can hear a knock of late that is not normal, like the knock you may hear when the bag gets full and the blade is hammering away at a grass clog, but it knocks when it is clear. I wonder if there can be an air leak by the lower bearing that cause its lose of power, but I also believe an air leak will likely cause it to seize up, so I am stumped. Is there anyone out there who can help me out? It's been a great unit but I refuse to believe it has reached the end of its service life! Help!!!!!!!!!!
    ...See More

Manually Starting Self Clean cycle on Electrolux Washer

Q

Comments (15)
    I have a newer Electrolux machine and can't find the manual. I was looking here for how to run the clean cycle - even though it prompts me and I just have to hit start. I couldn't remember what to add and where. I finally found someplace that said to add a cup of chlorine bleach to the detergent cup (after removing the insert for powdered detergent). I did, then turned the knob to "clean machine" and hit 'start'. I'm not sure what all it did, but it was very different from a regular cycle. The water was really being sloshed around hard in the machine and there were lots of suds. Since I didn't add any detergent, I assume that is from the machine running the hot water and bleach through all the guts of the dispensers that don't usually get that much hot water (or any bleach) run through them. If I had an older machine, I'd never be able to remember all those steps and would have to look every time.
    ...See More

FL Washer w/ short cycle & santi cycle suggestions

Q

Comments (6)
    We have the Kenmore H3s (Whirlpool manufactured them for Sears). Love the Sani cycle. My motto is if the stain didn't come out in the Sani cycle, then its not going to come out. I don't have to use my motto often :-) However, I do not recommend the Kenmores/Whirlpool for their Express cycles. I do not find they clean anywhere near as well as the Normal cycle which is just about 10-15 minutes longer. I have heard Electrolux has the shortest cycle and I want to say some models offer the Sani cycle, but I don't know how well their short/express cycles clean. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Pool heater cycles on and off incessently - how to fix?

Q

Comments (15)
    I have a Pentair MasterTemp that I have been trying to troubleshoot for a year now. It calls for heat, heat starts for maybe 5-10 seconds, then stops, temp raises rapidly to 124 then slowly back down to 75 and cycles again doing the same thing over and over again. So far I have replaced the thermal regulator, igniter, thermistor and the bypass valve in the manifold. Today, I did a bunch of troubleshooting. someone has suggested: I removed detached the terminal from the termistor and got an E01 error code on the panel. I connected my old termistor and got a reading of 85 degrees. When I hold it, the temp slowly went up to 90. I then reconnected the terminal on the new terminstor and got 75 (I guess that's the water temp). When problem started happening last early last year, one of the thing I did was replaced a broken Jandy check valve between the heater and chlorinator. I also noticed that the flap wasn't opening even at 3450rpm and 20-25psi. Although, there's strong water coming out of the 2 return lines. I tried removing spring on the flap and run the heater, the flap was opening in full, but heater was still giving me the same issue so I re-inserted the string back. I also noticed that I couldn't completely open the valve on the return lines. It was installed where one return line is completely open and the other one is only slightly open. So, I opened the 3-port valve and adjusted it where the 2 return lines are fully open. I run the heater and this time it did something different. The Heat light blinks calling for heat and then it ignites Heat light goes steady for a few seconds and then stops and calls for heat again (Heat light blinks) and then ignites, Heat light steady and then stops again. It kept doing this several times and then sometimes the temp will start counting up rapidly and slowly counts down to the current temp and cycles again. Note: when the opened the manifold last winter to replace the bypass, the manifold and the heat coils have no signs of scales. I only found 1 small stone stuck inside where the bypass is. So I thought that was causing the problem. In case there is blockage in the heat exchanger, how do I fix that? Thanks for your advise. Here are the video links. 1st one is the initial issue. The 2nd is after modified the 3-port valve to the return lines. https://youtu.be/OaYfnEbjAFU https://youtu.be/OLxQI4lA1eg
    ...See More
  • eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

Im 43 and since im 15yrs my period comes every 28 days I can set my watch to it. back in March i went to the doctor because I was just feeling off (jittery emotional neverous etc) he did a full harmonel panel,thyroid panel and full bloodwork. I have now shown through every 6 weeks that my hypothyroid is leveled....the harmone panel at the time came out normal...I then went and had my full yearly Gyno all was good and I did unform my gyno that i am now Hypothyroid he said this is very common. I was due for my period on July 19th ...3 weeks later not a show not a symptom. I am in disbelief that It can be menopause although my mom grandma and sister were all fully done by 45...my Gyno also looked at me in disbelief when i brought this up to him. I actually took 3 pregnancy tests in the last 3 weeks and of course they are negative. I have 4 children that were born from when i was 30yrs up until 39yrs I lost a baby in utero at 5 months when i wa 35. Other than thyroid i thank God I have no other medical issues. any imput helpful

• Busymomma
    12 years ago

So glad to have found this forum. I can't remember the last time I had a period. I know it's been over 6 months. I'll be 46 next month. I have been experiencing hot flashes. My youngest child is 6 years old and he's one of 8. So I'm guessing this is it for me? I don't take anything and really don't plan on it. But I tend to get bloated a lot and sometimes I look like I'm 2-3 months pregnant, blah. Is bloating normal?

• mommie-of-3
    11 years ago

Reading your post sounds so much like mines. I am 43 soon to be 44 this month going on 3 months with no period my last cycle was in December. I am due to see my GYN this week, been really stressed looking forward to finding out what is going on with me I took 3 home preg. All neg. And 1 preg. At my dr. Office neg. As well.

• treadlightly
    10 years ago

I have been in menopause for 2 years already-I'm 42, so at the age of 40, following a extremely stressful couple of months. I believe in my heart and body that it is not my lack of eggs, but more the stress causing everything to be out of whack. I am extremely depressed, angry and the mood swings are legendary. I cant sleep, gained weight and fatigue. what a bunch of crap. I have tried herbal remedies, didnt work at all for me, hence my belief that imbalances are more related to all hormones out of whack. my dhea is low, as is my cortisol (took 2 years of fighting to even have it checked). When I went in 2 years ago because of my missed periods, they did a quick fsh test, said you are menopausal, heres some info on hrt. It was like a 3 minute conversation. I was reeling to say the least. I am starting on bioidenticals now, just to feel human again. My doctor treats on symptoms though, and I want to cycle my bioidenticals-not static dosing. I had to fight with her on that too. Do your research if you decide to go bios-most doctors dont do it right. Frankly, it sucks being menopausal this young. My husband is annoyed with me, my friends dont understand, and I just feel so darn alone, and the worst part is I am trying to fix it, but nothing is working.

• FabFourty
    10 years ago

I'm happy to see this thread. I'm 44, hot flashes started around age 40, no period in about 8 months, SEVERE hot flashes and night sweats, and now acne (I never had acne as a teen) I'm tired all the time because the nigh sweats wake me up. I've just started using apple cider vinegar, its supposed to help the night sweats, not sure if its working yet...help me please :(

• Inschool
    10 years ago

Hello, I am happy that all of you are sharing your experiences since I have found most doctors don't educate you on this matter. In my late 30's I was under the impression that I could become pregnant any time in my 40's. Most older women would tell me I would not go through menopause until my 50's. Little did I know it was based on their own experience. I always considered myself a late bloomer in life, since I was very sheltered girl and in my mid 30's I started to love life by travel and being on my own. I have no children. I had decide I would get pregnant when I turned 42. I am 41 know and I am currently in shock and grieving over the realization that my period has stopped and mother nature has taken control. the loss of knowing I don't have options. My body is experiencing symptoms of having a monthly period but I do not bleed. I fear I may be a little too late and not be able to have children. I am also scared that if there is a way to get pregnant I may risk the fact that the child can be born with some form of disability.

There are two things going on right now the possibility that I can never give birth and the realization that I have entered a new stage of my life called Older Adult hood; which I know nothing about.

• julie444
    10 years ago

Hi all stumbled across this. I have not had a period for 2 and a half years and before that 8months and 11months before that so you see they have trailed off. I have had a blood test and my FSH levels are sky high, through the roof apparently. I am 42 nearly 43. I have had a few symptoms, but nothing much in the past but am now experiencing mood changes, headaches and tiredness aswell as lack of sleep, however i am stressed as i have 2 unwell children ongoing, work loads etc. I am wondering at what stage have you come through the change, does your levels drop back again and I need to make a decision of whether or not to take hrt, there is oesteoporosis in my family but I dont ant to pump hormones in my body if I dont need to. I have ordered the relevant vitamins etc that is prescribed for the change. Just wondered what next

• JMiller8893
    10 years ago

I just turned 43 and no cycle 4 months now, was no more than 3 months missed before and became fluky for a while before missing. My GYN said let her know if go more than 3 months w/o, but, no insurance right now... I use Female Toner tea bags & steep 2 bags on low for 20-30 min then add 2 family size black tea bags to steep & make 1/2 gal tea w/honey and drink 1 glass per day. It took several weeks to see some improvement but now I only have 1-2 hot flashes per day instead of 10-14 and no night sweats and less irritability. Yay! But still no period. I tried BHRT for several months but had skin reactions so came off; no side effects from the tea. Some websites I read said parsley & ginger tea would help to start, maybe I'll try that. Glad to know that it's not that uncommon at least.

• Shelly44
    10 years ago

I am going through the same thing. No cycle in 4 months. Is anyone losing their hair??? OMG I can't stand it all my hair is falling out. Is anyone else experiencing this in their pre menopuase symptoms??

• JMiller8893
    10 years ago

Yay, I finally started a couple of days ago, it is just very dark probably because I went so long without. I didn't try the parsley or ginger tea so don't know if that helps. However, I started taking Atomic Iodine for thyroid issues (1 drop per day in water) and about a week or so later I started my period. Maybe it is helping with hormonal balance or something...

• Sunshine7708
    10 years ago

I found this forum by googling menopause. I am 45 years old and hane not had my period in a few months. I am having hot flashes throughout day and night and have rosacea/acne, which just came about two years ago and I had no idea was associated with menopause until today! I just came to the rrealization I am going through menopause a few days ago and am starting to sink into a depression after researching and realizing what this means.

Heart disease runs in my family which would be a case for Hrt but my mother developed breast cancer after taking hrt with no family history of breast cancer, so I am I obviously reluctant to take any drugs.

I feel so alone in this process. My kids are 2 and 5 so I feel like I should be in a different stage of life, not winding things down. None of my friends are going through this, even those my age.

Any suggestions on how to proactively manage this change? Ideally I'dike to get my period back (to lower heart disease risk) and find a wAy not to sink into a depression about getting old.

• Paulas2cents
    10 years ago

Hi there, I'm sorry you're struggling with these changes but you have come to a great place for fellowship and information. I want to assure you that even though this time of life can be challenging, you will get through it and eventually feel better. It's important for you to understand this!

Meanwhile, it's very possible your period will return, stick around for a while, go away again, and so on. Make an appointment with your gyn to talk about the changes that you've been experiencing. Bring up specific concerns and if necessary, tests can be done to calm your nerves. I often wondered if I had Lyme disease/arthritis/chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia, heart problems, panic disorder, to name a few. Eventually I came to realize that the vast majority of my symptoms were hormone related due to perimenopause.

Your body is going through some very big changes -- this does not mean you are getting old!! You will feel better once your body adapts to these hormonal fluctuations.

It helps to share your concerns with other women, so you might consider checking with a local hospital to see if they offer groups for perimenopause. Connection with others is important during this time. You need support, especially since you have young children to care for. You need someone to listen to you and understand what you're going through.

Many women swear by certain supplements. Check with your doctor about these, though you might find that he/she will say you don't need them. I took and continue to take Vitamin D, fish oil, CoQ10, and B12 as well as a multivitamin. There are many other supplements that might provide some relief for various symptoms you're experiencing. Go through this thread and you'll find all kinds of suggestions.

Many women experience insomnia which adds to their feeling of fatigue. If you are able to lay down for a rest during the day, do it. I also cannot overstress the importance of getting outside as often as you can for a walk. It helps to soothe the anxiety and depression in addition to the physical benefits.

Perimenopause began at 47 for me and ended at around 52. I feel much better now, with just the occasional hot flash and heart palpitations. Don't despair -- I now no longer feel like an old woman when I get out of bed in the morning. There was a time my muscles were so sore even the soles of my feet hurt! Try not to sit for too long -- make sure yourself get up and move a bit.

Start with the mindset that you are going to take care of yourself and things *will* get better. If anxiety and depression are getting the better of you, ask for an anti anxiety/depression med to help you. I had to do this and the relief was significant.

Let us know how you're doing and if you have any other questions, just ask!!

God bless you, and stay positive!!

• sarah_65
    10 years ago

Phew. Thought it was just me. paulas2cents I was very relieved to read such an insightful post. I am 43 and have been as regular as clockwork every 28 days, until my last one where I was waiting 42 days and this one I am still waiting at 51. I track constantly as I was hoping to get pregnant. I have heard of a product called Macafem which I have ordered as it is apparently natural and helps to balance your whole system. Has anyone heard of this?

I don't have hot flushes but I am not sleeping well and all my nerves are constantly on edge. I'm presuming I'm entering peri menopause.

Thanks for a fantastic forum, it feels better knowing there are others feeling the same xx

• mara2
    10 years ago

Hi, I noticed this forum and it had helped me a lot, I am 42 was in February, last year I missed for 3 months this year I have missed Feb and March. am so disappointed cause I thought that I would be able to get a baby at 42.

• grneyz_36
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am 43 years old, and two years ago I missed my period for four months. They put me on premarin which finally started my period but then I bled for a month straight. After having an ultrasound it showed a large cyst on my ovary which they removed, and then my period was normal again. Now it has been almost 3 months again with no period, and I am worried that it is the same thing again. I can't afford Insurance and I don't qualify for free insurance so I am reluctant to go see an OB. I just paid off the surgery from two years ago which cost me over 10k.. Any suggestions on what I should do??

• Shannon Brackett
    8 years ago

hi, I just found this site. I am not sure what to do. I am a 34 year old female who has not had a period in 4 years. Do i go to an obgyn my normal doctor. I really do not want to find out that my time to have kids is gone. I am going through a divorce, and the thought of telling mythical husband number 2 oh we can't have kids seems like a downer.

• violetwest
    8 years ago

you haven't talked to a doctor about this in FOUR YEARS? why, oh, why? Go to a doctor. Either one.

• Shannon Brackett
    8 years ago

There's no excuse really but I have been in and out of mental hospitals and they never made a big deal about it. So untill a month ago when i started thinking I might want to have kids before im in my 40's it didnt really hit me.

• violetwest
    8 years ago

ah, I see. Well go on then get thee to a doctor and address it.

• Julia Jakubowski Howerin
    8 years ago

I am 44- I started my menses when I was 10. I had hot flashes and night sweats 2 years ago- don't have them anymore- however my regular Flo girl is not so regular anymore. I was a 23 day girl for all my life. For the past 2 years I have at least 3 months out of the year where I will skip- or as my Mom calls it "hit or miss". However, for the past 4 months the week before I would normally get my period- I have a very heavy discharge- I'm not used to this- never had it- no odor, no itch, My periods have also become farther apart- form 23 days, to 25, then 30 and then some- but all with the same heavy discharge right before- then after the period back to normal until "the week before". This is the kicker- all the women in my family have been thru the beginning, middle or even end of menopause by age 46. My Aunt stopped at 38. My mom at 47. My GYN on the other hand- thinks I'm "too young". I don't get this--I know what I am going thru, Why is it so hard for Docs to think that women can't go thru menopause before 50? I have had my period since I was 10---thats a hell of along time- seems to me 44 is past due for my poor eggs. So my annual pap came back abnormal, my HPV and all other tests NEGATIVE. Doc wants to do a Colposcopy because he is 99.9 percent sure that I have HPV- even though I tested negative for it- when I mention the "M" word and that can cause abnormal pap ( I have a medical background) he is quick to assure me that I am TOO YOUNG for menopause and all my symptoms of obvious menopause are "something else". So I will get the damn colposcopy to appease my Old School Doc- just because I want to see the look on his face when he realizes that YES- It is Menopause and YES women in their 40s and sometime 30s CAN and DO go thru this and its NOT abnormal.

• Carolina Calderon
    8 years ago

I'm experiencing the same thing here at age 43. Some nights I sleep through others I wake up at 3 or 4am. At first I had my period for a month. Then I missed it several times. My doc checked for polps. I did not seem to have any. Then we went on to a D&C. That normalized things. That was about a year ago. Now I am waiting for my period 2 months. I feel like I am going to get it and then nothing. I have all the symptoms of pms. But still waiting. I never thought I say it but I just want to get it, it seems like the body needs it. I feel bloated etc. I want to go to a natural path or take something natural to balance my hormones out. Anybody know of a dr. Or natural supplements? If so did it work?

• Tess Yoshida
    8 years ago

I'm experiencing the same thing also ,I'm 46 now, my last menstruation stop last dec. to april then i consult to my OB and got examined but all is clear and finally she said it's a sign of menopause, I'm shocked !!! so she gave me some medicine to continue my mens. but i only had my mens in May and on going 2mons delayed now,... can't sleep at night, feeling my stomach is bloated everytime even i ate small serving,having difficulty of breathing and I have Acne on my face,cheek,forehead and chin I'm really stressed. I try a lot of supplement and vitamins, changed my food intake but it's not worked. I feel I'm alone :((

• ccbmcgrath
    8 years ago

I'm 45 yrs old and since I turned 40, my periods have been late once or twice a year ranging from 35 days to 63 days, I was always regular 28 day up to then. Now I am on day 64, slight bleed for over 10 days now, not like real period. I had an ultra sound done 4 yrs ago but nothing showed up. Had hormone level checked same time everything normal. Maybe it's time for another check up. And one else experience long light period.

• treenajane
    8 years ago

Hi, I'm 43 and have had irregular periods for a while now, I thought is was down to the depo injection which I last had 2 and a half years ago. Anyway, I hadn't had a period for 4 months, then suddenly I get this horrible very long one (5 weeks and counting). I went to dr, he took blood for a thyroid test, I'm going back Tuesday for results and have also been booked in for a ultrasound..i'm feeling quite scared tbh, I'm a single mum and can't help thinking about the worst things that could happen. I feel fine in every other way, just a bit emotional. Anybody else had this? Any comments appreciated.

• M@H
    8 years ago

Hi. I'm 47, missing period for 3 months. But getting pain for a while at end of the month and stop and no period. Is this part of menopause.

• natashanelson19
    8 years ago

Lord I am glad I am not alone I am a 43 years old with 3 grown kids. I missed my cycle in January thru March and it returned in April. It was normal up til September. I have had a cycle in the last 3 months. I wake up at night constantly with night sweats. My neck be soaked. I am not pregnant. I just don't understand and I am still having the cramps and pain associated with my cycle but no cycle

• veronical_smith
    8 years ago

hey to all. i can verify the same thing! it is sooooo weird. i am 49.9 and i have not had a period since september. i also have a grown child, had my tube tied like 19 years ago; have not had sex since the summer and i have symptoms of a period like wanting chips and pain, but nothing. i know i am going through menopause cause of my age but i thought periods would taper off instead of stopping suddenly. the doctor says i am fine (thank goodness) but its just odd that after decades of regularity, thats it. i am not sad just a bit baffled as to the sudden 'change.' guess thats why its called 'the change of life.' i wish you all the best... a happy and painfree time of life:)

• heavenshopeful
    8 years ago

I'm 47. My menstrual cycles every 24 days for 7 days. About two years ago my periods changed to really heavy and long. Wearing double the protection & super during those times and still messing up my clothes. Dr ran test and said not menopause but maybe peri menopause. Just had my check up this past December. Prior to apt. Had my period for two weeks stopped a day or two had it another 10 days and then nothing since my apt. Took preg. Test although I had my tubes cut/burned nine years ago. My children are 26, 21, 12, 9. Test said negative. Pants are getting tighter although I go to gym 4 days a week and I walk about 10 miles on weekends

• castletopdolls
    8 years ago

Can someone explain how the Obgyn can give meds to start a period back up, I thought once it stops the eggs are gone ? I am 42 and a few months ago I had two periods in one month , it happened two months in a row then a normal one now no period for a month..only had some sweating in my sleep for 6 months maybe once a week and some weight gain, my thyroid is also low, don't know if this can throw off the cycle.

• stillyoungatheart
    8 years ago

I am 41 and the mother of 4 children. At 40, I noticed my vision starting to change. A little ache here and ther, but nothing major. At 41, it felt like all hell broke loose. At first I had a period twice a month, and it was horrendous. Twice as heavy as usual. Before this, I was regular and started the same day monthly . Then I began to have a cycle every 3 months, and they last for about 4 days now. Along with that confusion, I wake several times throughout the night drenched. My mood swings are out of character and I feel like an awful person. My emotions are all over the placeand I dont like it a bit. I thought I was too young to begin menopause.??? Im glad I'm not alone, but should I even consider HRT? And what about build up that can later contribute to possibility of cancer??? Or is this even an issue? My doctor just says "your beginning the change"… . really... I need a little more info than that. Any advice?

• Lis Pearse
    7 years ago

Hi Ladies, I am 45 and going to try IVF in June. I think I've just reached menopause, but not sure, and so many Doctors say different things, but one common thing they say is that it isn't an exact science. I haven't had a period since late December (2015) and prior to that they were all over the shop for about 3 years. I had an ectopic in my left tube in July 2003, and had that removed. I have not been pregnant before or since. They have done ultra-sounds and found some cysts, but they were normal apparently. last scan I had they could only find my right ovary, saying that there was a bowel blockage on the left :P I am getting nervous now as the IVF treatment approaches. We're only giving it one go, then looking into adoption/fostering, as I just don't think I could cope or afford to go through it more than once. I'm worried that we're wasting my Mum's money, and I don't have the slightest chance of it working, as it now seems I may have stopped menstruating. But the lady at the clinic says egg implantation can still work, and you do hear of many ladies falling pregnant naturally also after or during menopause. It's nice to find this thread, and see my symptom are common. I suffer with anxiety, and have to stop my chain of thought going down the road of 'what if I have cancer' etc. There is no history of it in my family, but there is some history of infertility in my extended family. Has anyone else found they get muddled up with their speech in addition to the brain fog etc?

• sapodillabrown Alexander
    7 years ago

I am so glad I have found this forum. I am 43 and I have not had a period in 4 months. I took 2 pregnancy tests but they were negative. the next step is to visit my gyno. I couldn't believe it could be menopause, but reading your posts my symptoms seem the same. Does any one know what causes it so early? Do your have light-headedness too and an increase in appetite?

• Catherine Hockey
    7 years ago

Need advice girls just turned 42 last week at night I go through the hot cold thing driving me mad, also missed period this month since starting chemo it's been dodgy but I have now missed a cycle in May, I also have muscle pain in my thigh is this menopause or the chemo

• montanakat1912
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm 41 years old and I haven't had my period last month and so far it hasn't come this month. I'm not sure if it's caused by stress. I was a caregiver of my mom until she passed away last November and my Dad has been in and out of the hospital with heart problems and water weight. Maybe, what's going on around home. I'm not even sure if I'm having hot flashes as I would be watching tv and I would get hot and then it would be gone few seconds later. I've been craving for food. I'm not pregnant. Does this sound like I'm done with my period or stress? My last period came June of 2016. I know my TMJ has been acting up and it's caused by stress.

• BB Galore
    7 years ago

I started experiencing skipped cycles around 40. Other highlights include spectacularly horrific bleeding, dry cramping with no bleeding, and cycles as short as 11 days or long as 70 days. It used to scare me, and my OBGYN would only suggest getting on the pill or uterine ablation. (I said NO! to both options.)

It was when I began talking with other women that I realized what I was experiencing was among many typical symptoms of perimenopause. I never know when my next cycle may show up...could be next week, next month, or next season. It's not my favorite thing, but on the upside, the hormonal mood swings that plagued me for 25 years have gone away.

In hindsight, I'm shocked my OBGYN couldn't provide a better explanation for what was happening. It turns out "locker room" talk was more informative than seeking medical expertise.

• annajdoyle
    7 years ago

Hi all! This is a revaluation! I'm 41. I think I've entered menopause: three years ago my periods went crazy, slipped periods, then weeks of bleeding, (heavy), then huge gaps with no period. Here in the Uk (London) the idea of seeing a gyna is very remote - we see our GP ( general practitioner doctor) who usually hasn't the foggiest about a condition that over 50 % of the global population experience. Firstly I was tested to check I didn't have cancer which was scary. But then I was referred to on my insistence a gynalogical unit at the local hospital. Tests for FSH, thyroid, blood (White & red) count. I saw doctors who coldly within a minute if chat said my FSH levels meant u was post menopause. Which spun me out at 38/39. Then through pot luck I had a female doc who used everyday language & explained that I needed a second uterus scan to check for fibroids, follicle count etc. She also told me that FSH count goes up and down and isn't really a clear indicator of anything. Now three years later I've not had a period for 15 months, no night sweats, no anything really aside from mood swings and just a much lower sex drive. I know helping yourself through diet, supplements ( vitamin D3, B12, calcium, zinc) and exercise ( yoga, swimming, Pilates) really does help. Why I'm posting is - it's shocking in 1st world countries all around the world menopause is still a mystery to most women and it seems the medical profession. It's a big change in our lives, it heralds new considerations of 'where' we are as a woman, ageing, sex appeal, energy etc. It's not a negative or positive 'thing' but the fact it is a change we all go through as women and we are being left to work things out alone, being misinformed/ ignored.... Things should be different. Here's a shout out to any woman reading this.

• pjdenny1
    7 years ago

ok i think i am going thru the change also.what i am having trouble with is sex being dry.is anyone else having this problem?? does it go away after going thru the change???

• Elisha Cosby
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm 46, started having hot flashes close to 3 years ago, noticeable. My mother had to have full hysterectomy at 25. I'm a mother of 5 grandmother of 6. I had my thought it was my last period this past November, it wasn't normal. I could set a clock by my cycle all my life, so why do I have clots so far looks like putty or slit liver, ive never seen it before, I also have some bleeding, will I stop or will it get worse, going on day 3 tomorrow and I just want to make sure. I also have 1 thyroid, I'm a breast cancer survivor, I do have other issues, not on hormones and still occasionally have a flash. Mother Nature and Father time must really Love Me.

• Jay
    6 years ago

Like many of you I am so glad I 'stumbled' upon this discussion. I actually googled "missed my period twice this year at age 42". The first time time I missed it was in Jan and my friends thought I was crazy to think I was going through 'the change'. I tried explaining how REGULAR my period has always been. Even after having each of my 3 children as well as suffering an ectopic pregnancy, it always went back to 26-28 days. Suddenly in Jan of this year there was no period until day 48 the following month. Now I am 6 days late which is not officially 'missed' yet but I anticipate it will be the 2nd missed one. I also felt menstrual cramping when my period was supposed to come and could have sworn it was coming but still nothing. Very strange feeling but I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I thought 42 was too young also. My mom passed 2 years ago and this is one of those things I wish we had spoken about because I know genetics can be a factor but I never knew when she went through these changes. As a result, I tend to overshare my experiences in this area with my 3 daughters because it really sucks not to have known my mother's.

• vacummings
    6 years ago

I'm 47. Last year I missed my cycle for 3 months, this year I missed for 3 months... This last time though I had hot flashes for 6 weeks. Day and night. I bought a personal handheld battery operated fan to help. During that time I had all the signs of my period. Cramping, bloat, constipation, weight gain. I even gained 4 lbs in one week. While I was eating healthy! My cycle is back on but the full weight gain isn't gone. My belly is large. I even had to buy new pants to fit it... I realize that I really have to adjust my diet and get in more physical fitness. My cycle has resumed so I guess I am just in the process.....I am a breast cancer survivor, so I will not take any HRT.

• jeaninestcharles17
    6 years ago

I've Not had my period in a month and I'm concerned

• tamara4470
    6 years ago

I’m 44 and missed 4 periods to the day. Slept horribly last night pressure between my legs was so bad I’d put a pillow between them like I did when I was pregnant. I’ve also had the round ligament pain as well lately like I did in pregnancy. Instead of the change it should be called the confusion! Before this current cycle I was having phantom periods where the symptoms would show but no period. So much of what we go through mimics pregnancy and other female related problems add that to most doctors even those who have gone through this not being much help. My current Dr. at a minimum is perimenopausal if not post, she’s at least 10 years older than me but I’ve learned more in online forums than in any Dr’s office. I started having symptoms at 39 skipping periods once a year and hot flashes until these last two years. The insomnia began, I started with longer periods they went from 6 days to sometimes 9, 11 or 14. Lots of clotting and heavy bleeding. I had started wearing depends and all black to help buy time when I would bleed through my clothing. I also have 3 fibroids that are of course getting larger because my hormones are so out of whack. I learned though that the clotting at this stage is the uterine lining shedding off in preparation for of course no periods. I’m severely anemic my iron is so low right now my Dr. wants me to have an iron transfusion. I refuse to take drugs to “regulate” my cycle when I feel like it’s only prologing what has to happen anyway which is for my body to transition into no periods. 2017 my weight went down finally and the bleeding went back to normal whatever that is now but I started having vaginal dryness making sex pretty uncomfortable without lube more often than not. My drive isn’t what it used to be either. It was always high no matter what until last year now I have to remind myself about it. Regular sex does help with my symptoms as well as crushed ice with hot flashes but I originally started on it because of my low iron but it also helps to keep my body cooler so I’m never without it. This year I’m battling my weight again gained 10 pounds in 3 months some of that is the holidays I try to check before and after and this year I was at 5 pounds but I still gained another 5 while my cycle was MIA. Hoping since my periods are stretching I am near tge end of the tunnel. I’m just greatful my kids are grown and out of the house, my mood swings are horrible and don’t mix well with moody teens.

• Alice Grant
    5 years ago

Have not had a period 5 months, probably because of pre-menopause and my age. 2 weeks into taking fertilemd supplement I got my period back with no premenstrual symptoms except irritability.

• Carol Medley
    5 years ago

I am 41, a mother to 3 grown children and 1 almost there. I was adopted a little after my birth and have no knowledge of my family history (I wish I did). I started my period early, around 12, and while not exactly like clockwork, still normal although extremely heavy, until 40. They started getting longer or shorter, sometimes lighter, sometimes abnormally heavy and then 41 and I will have a period a month long, skip a few months and am in the late period stage yet again. My OB/GYN goes out of her way to qualm my fears, and at last check everything was good down there and my blood tests showed my hormones were well within the norm and not perimenopausal, but that doesn’t help me in understanding what is wrong with me. Glad I found this forum to know I am not the only one. I may have to try some of the suggestions.

• HU-10217670476
    5 years ago

41 always regular had tubes tide at 32 periods heavy but regular until 3 months ago and not had menstrual cycle feel great aside from my worry????

• HU-248870627
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I can totally relate!! I had my tubes tied during c section at 32 and now I'm 42. Periods always on time, maybe a couple of days early. This month it's almost a week late? Sore breasts and cramping like it's starting but it hasn't? It's freaking me out. Took two pregnancy tests and both are negative. I'm always afraid of tubal pregnancy. Trying to figure out how long to wait before making a gyn appt. I feel good otherwise, no emotional roller coaster or headaches like I normally get.

• Simone Major
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hey ladies,

well Inam late to this forum but Inread everyone's posts. Heavenlyhopeful and Tamara4470's post is exactly what I am going through. I am 48, had night sweats for 9mths then it stopped 2 years ago...my period is now super heavy and long. I use to get it for 3 days now its 3days stop for 1 day and back for 7-8 days with clots...I am praying for this to stop. I get cramps and sometimes pimples like a teenager...Lord when is this going to be done already

• HU-434375566
    5 years ago

This is very similar to what I’m going through. I’m 40, I used to have my period every 28 days & 5 days long and over the last 2 years my period has been either shorter (from 5 day to 3 days). Occasionally, I had skipped my period for a month about 5 times from then. However, our condom broke, and now I’m 2 weeks late, hot flashes ( I’ve never had before until now) nausea, craving mostly fruit. But the at home pregnancy test said negative. Am I pregnant or in menopause??

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?