Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone here have Graves disease

Posted by carla17 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 08 at 12:29

Warning. I am not seeking advice. I have discovered there are very strong opinions both ways on annihilation of the thyroid.I am not at that point yet. I found out in Dec. that I have Graves. Would like to hear experiences or stories people have. My eyes are swollen, my hair has thinned terribly. I have had one blood test since I am on Methimazole *sp) and beta blockers. The levels at that time were lower but still too high. I am having blood work and doctor's visit next week.

Thanks,
Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone here have Graves disease

I don't, but a friend of mine does, and it was diagnosed in her early 30's. She's been on meds for it for about 12 years now with good results.
Mrs H

o

I know the presidents Mom Barbara has it, and Rod Stewart, Oprah did a show on it!

o

Is Graves an overactive thyroid? I had it for years before being diagnosed, and stayed on a suppressant medication for a couple of years. After a year or two of normal thyroid, with no medication, it went hyper again. I went back on meds for awhile, then normal thyroid for awhile until it became underactive, where it's been for about 15 years.

o

Thanks everyone. Shotzy, I wish I had seen that show. I'm in limbo right now trying to get levels right, almost impossible.
It is an aggravating disease!

Carla

o

I have Graves Disease. It was discovered it in '05. I opted for ablation. I was in very bad shape at the time. I could barely walk, lift my arms, my heart was racing constantly, I shook all over. It was bad. The ablation decision was scary, however it was right for me. I needed quick relief. I did swallow nuclear medicine, however symptoms disappeared within weeks. I got some critism from a few people about ablation but my Endo helped me make the decision, and the fact that I was so sick. I am now hypothryroid, which is a trade off, but easier to manage than hyperthyroid. I will take synthroid for the rest of my life. It's an important decision that should not be taken lightly. Investigate your options and good luck finding the one that is right for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here