SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junelynnky

HRT and Osteoporosis

junelynn
22 years ago

Hey ladies, I have a question or two.

I went thru menopause at 43 (same as my Mother, which the Dr. said was NOT a correlation, but I keep reading differently...). I'm now 51. I was on HRT to reduce symptoms and wore the patch the last few years. (Oral HRT can up your triglicerides..., found that out about 5 years after taking them orally).

So last year, I weaned myself off of the patch (Combipatch).

I have not had any surgeries of any kind and I've never had children. Had a few mild flashes in the last year from the weaning, but now none at all.

My OB/GYN nurse practictioner is all upset because of

osteoporosis. I had a DEXASCAN and I'm ABOVE NORMAL in Bone Mass in my hip/femur, wrist (radia/unna) and NORMAL in my Lumbar spine.

I feel so torn. I understand HRT helps prevent bone loss, but one should not be on it for an extended period of time. My 7 yrs. on HRT is plenty by my book. I do a lot of bone strengthening work (exercise, HARD gardening (lifting, lugging, hauling-those bags of weeds get heavy), turning compost piles, laying brick and patio block int he garden, house repairs, etc.). I am medium boned. No history of osteoporosis in the family.

So, the nurse practictioner told me I should take FOSAMEX.

I just can't see it. I'm already taking PREVACID for GERD and fosamex is very hard on the stomach. (It seems the drug companies REALLY have the OB/GYN's convinced this is all goodness...take a pill, have side effect, we have a pill for that side effect...and on and on...).

What natural hormones are out there that prevent bone loss?

If I found a natural ESTROGEN supplement, I would assume I would have to supplement it w. natural PROGESTERONE, right? Since I have a viable uterus..

I do take supplemental calcium, eat products with calcium, etc. and am not a high risk of osteoporosis, but from what the Dr's and nurses say...it's inetivable!

Thanks for your time...June

Comments (5)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler