Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weak bladder

Posted by Jenn (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 05 at 0:07

Why does my bladder wake me up at night when the last time I had anything to drink was before noon, and it was only a tall glass of water?????!!!???? This nonsense is going to drive me insane. It seems to matter not how much or how little I drink, my bladder wakes me up during the night. The trouble is, it really isn't that full!!! And then it takes me 2-3 hours to get back to sleep. Waking up to go to work after a night like that is not a good way to start the day.

Has anyone else found a remedy for this that doesn't include medication?

Signed,
Sleepless in California

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weak bladder

I am thinking you might not be drinking enough... when urine becomes concentrated, it irritates that bladder, sending signals it is full... if you don't drink enough water, it will progress to a urinary tract infection... that is just my humble opinion.

o

You know, I've wondered the same thing! On the rare days when I drink a lot of water, I don't seem to have this problem (I haven't been keeping any records). That's usually on the weekend when I can sleep in and make up for loss of sleep, in case I can't sleep after drinking a lot that day.

Maybe I'll give that a try. What have I got to lose... except more sleep. :)

Jen

o

Hi Jen,
I'm wondering........do you eat alot of salty stuff for dinner, and maybe more in the evening? If you do eat alot of salt, it probably lets loose about the middle of the night. I usually have to go to the bathroom about 12 times a day! I've noticed, though, that when I diet, and don't eat nearly as many carbs, I don't pee nearly as much.
So it might be what you're eating in the evening, as opposed to what you're drinking. It's amazing how much water food has in it.
P.S. When we lay down, we increase the return to our hearts, which increases the blood through our kidneys too....which fills our bladders up.....but there's not much you can do about that.

o

Hi Catherine,

I don't ever salt my food so I tend to dislike salty foods (except chips, nuts and that type of snack).

The thing is, What I'm doing now is no different than what I did before... if anything it is actually healthier. This problem has started in the past year or two.

Thank you for your comments though, I will keep a closer eye on those possibilities.

Jen

o

I drink water all day & night...my 'power surges' wake me all through the night anyway, so having to get up to hit the 'batroom' has become a routine for me.
I guess I should stop drinking water each time I DO get up to use the bathroom...LOL...but the hot flashes make me so darned thirsty!
In the morning, I know that I'm gonna hafta sprint to the 'facilities'...must be a gravity thing ☺...I cross my fingers that I'll 'make it'! Heehee!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here