Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Period started up after 1 yr.

Posted by suntide (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 06 at 19:41

Hi,

I have been on this forum once before. It was because my libido was very high. Well, now that is not such a big issue. (even 'though it is still there) I am more concerned because after 1 yr. of no periods, it started up again today. (Almost 1 yr. to the day) I was at my gyno. a few wks. ago and everything was ok. But today, surprise! I started staining. And I had a stomach-ache all wknd., which I thought was just my irritable bowel acting up. My period isn't that heavy right now, but who knows how long or how heavy this will be. I did call my gyno. and nxt. wk. he will be giving some test which is a biopsy of my uterus, in his office. I will be awake, not put under. Has anybody had this type of procedure before and does it necessarily mean something serious is going on? How common is it to get your period after 1 yr. of menopause? I never thought menopause would be so frustrating!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Period started up after 1 yr.

It's quite common.

One reason could be a lot of fat around the abdomen that's acting like an estrogen factory. Progesterone every few months could force the release of the estogren more frequently.

I wouldn't worry about the biopsy results beforehand (easy for me to say).

I hope everyhting comes back negative. Let us know.

o

Hi Suntide,
Sorry I just now saw your post.
I had a period after a year last year. I know they say that we should be concerned after a year, but I really think they should make that a year and a half! I think, like bbaird said, it's real common.
I've had an endometrial biopsy a couple times. The first time it didn't hurt at all, and the second time it was like a pinch, but not bad. I wouldn't worry about it.
In addition to the biopsy, my OB/GYN had me have a transvaginal ultrasound....which shows how thick your lining is. When our hormones start getting irratic, right before menopause, it's common for our uterine lining to thicken up and not shed. I guess if this happens for a long time it's not healthy.....but for a short period of time, it's okay, and to be expected. In fact, it's good that you are shedding yours! Good luck on your test, and don't worry about the spotting right now. Let us know how you did.

o

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I wanted to get my results back. I'm ok. I had the endometrial biopsy last wk. and it was uncomfortable and I did have cramps, but after an hour or two, they subsided. I didn't have to take anything.When this whole thing started, it wasn't actually a period - just spotting with stomach pains, almost like what I used to get at mid-month. It lasted a wk., went away for a wk., then started up 2 days ago again. The spotting comes around Noon or early afternoon then stops. It's very timed - like clockwork! In any case, I want to thank you for writing me - it really helped me feel better. Actually, I think I've always had a thick lining around my uterus. I had a transvaginal ultrasound a few wks. ago before all this happened as part of my regular exam. Again, thanks - I just got home from work, told my husband and then sat down to write to you. I am really glad there is something like this available for women going through menopause.

o

Hi Suntide,
So have you gotten the results from the biopsy yet? And did the doctor say your uterine lining was thick (from the ultrasound results)? How old are you?
I know lots of women start spotting in-between their usual periods in perimenopause. The thing you have to be careful of is that you don't lose too much blood over the year, and become anemic. I think it's okay to be pretty inconsistent during perimenopause, as long as it doesn't go on forever, and you don't lose too much blood.
Perimenopause can be pretty crazy! It's wonderful to have places like this, to help us through a really hard time! Good luck to you.

o

I feel so much better after reading the postings as I have not had a period for a year but have been having a light one for several days. I think it has stopped and find out it has not. I am wondering if I should go to my gyn or not.

o

I had some post-menopausal bleeding and my dr. and gyne took it very seriously. It is not normal and should be checked. In my case, like the OP, it turned out to be fine.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here