Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Osteoporosis

Posted by Sammy (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 1, 04 at 19:15

Are any of you interested in sharing information about osteopenia and osteoporosis? I have been fight this for a couple of years, and resist trying to do weight lifting exercises while I can garden. I wonder if anyone knows to what extent gardening can improve bone density. I am not going to go further because possibly I have the wrong forum for this subject.
Sammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Osteoporosis

Why not lift some weights? I do. At least twice a week, if I get around to it, three times. I got a book on Osteoporosis, and it gave me instructions on what kind of weights to do.

My mother has shrunk so much from this disease, I really don't relish going there myself.

You don't have to lift weights to make you look bulky anywhere!

Moni

PS, loaned the book out right now, and can't remember the WHOLE title.

o

Sammy, the book I wrote about is: The Osteoporisis Handbook, author: Sydney Lou Bonnick M.D.F.A.C.P

o

Sometimes I wonder just how much exercise a day or week is really necessary. I too lift weights and work hard in my garden. I take Fosamax once a week, and always take my calcium. My lumbar reading is in the low normal stage now, but my hip reading is still "almost" osteoporosis. A year and a half ago I quit the HRT, and am afraid that without the hormones, I may slip back to osteopenia. I used to do aerobics and weight lifting aerobics 3 times a week. After working full time, I felt that I was spending my whole life on exercise. Now I just try to walk my dogs and do my gardening.
Sammy

o

I wonder sometimes if this isn't hereditary. My mom has osteoporosis real bad in her back and I can tell a huge difference in my bones since I've been going thru menopause. I've working some with weights, using the Joyce Vedral "Bottoms Up" routine----I can tell a difference. I'm also taking calcium.

Supposedly, lifting weights will help build stronger bones.

o

I figure that I can do 30 minutes of aerobics and the full Nautilus circuit in an hour, so three or four hours a week is clearly a good investment in my health, no matter how busy my schedule.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here