SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen33_gw

How to use NHRT

Karen33
22 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been reading with great interest and decided finally to post a message. I'm 52 with an FSH of 84 which means I must be menopausal. I still get my period every now and then, but they're usually 7 months apart. I recently changed doctors because my last one wanted to do a hysteroscopy/D&C without even doing a pelvic sonogram first to check my endometrial lining. I said no thanks and found another doctor who seems knowledgeable about natural hormone replacement therapy and the various herbs and supplements on the market. My diet is very healthy and I take in lots of soy. I exercise regularly and do lots of yoga (I'm a yoga teacher) which, by the way, is one of the best forms of weight bearing exercise you can do. If you haven't tried it, you might want to consider it. Yoga also alleviates stress through deep relaxation and breathing. But back to me.....I'm taking a bunch of supplements, such as black cohosh, chasteberry, gingko biloba, st. john's wort, flax seed oil, plus the necessary vitamins (calcium, E, A, B, C, etc.)And they have all helped tremendously. But not enough. In the past year, my big problem has been vaginal dryness and frequent UTI's. With my new doctor, we decided to try Estriol vaginal cream (the "weak" estrogen), just 1 gram twice a week and natural progesterone cream (I was using the OTC kind, but she doesn't trust the dosage). I found a great compounding pharmacy in my area and they make up both for me. Of the natural progesterone cream, I'm using 1/4 teaspoon (or 1 and 1/4 grams) twice per day. That's my first question. Does anyone out there who uses the cream feel that's too much? When I measure out 1 and 1/4 grams, that's quite a lot of cream. I plan to use it on for 3 weeks and off for one, which I guess is pretty standard. I just recently started the estriol cream, using it every night for one week, and then just twice a week after that. Suddenly, my breasts feel a bit tender. Could that small amount of "weak" estrogen be affecting me that quickly? That's my second question. And here's my third question: if I'm using the estriol cream, should I eliminate the black cohosh completely, which is a phytoestrogen and used by many women instead of going on hormones. My partner lives at a long distance and we haven't seen each other since I started this regimen. So I'll let you know if it works for the vaginal dryness the next time we get together. In the meantime, I would so appreciate any advice from all the wise women out there who read this forum.

Comments (10)

Sponsored