Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allergic reaction

Posted by Karen33 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 02 at 16:27

I started using OTC Natural Progesterone cream a couple of months ago and around the same time became quite ithcy on my arms and around my mid section. I attributed it to dry skin, since winter was setting in. But about 2 weeks ago, when my doctor switched me from the OTC and put me on a proper dosage (I was just using a dab before, not even a quarter teaspoon), the itching got worse. I even notice some hives. I am sure this is an allergic reaction. I took a Benedryl today during an especially bad attack and within an hour, the itchiness went away. Has anyone ever experienced this. And if so, what can you do? Since I'm using Estriol vaginal cream, I really need to take some progesterone to protect the uterus. Any ideas or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allergic reaction

Karen, allergies to progesterone are very possble. Some women are even allergic to the progesterone made by their own bodies. This is more common in women who have other autoimmune problems.

Do a google search (www.google.com) using progesterone and allergic skin reactions as your search terms. You'll find a wealth of sites that discuss with problem.

o
RE: Allergic reaction

Karen,

Last summer my gyno put me on progesterone pills for 12 days to try and stop my bleeding. It didn't work, but I did break out in nasty hives all over my body while we were on vacation at the beach (went there 2 days after I started taking the pills). I went to the family doctor when we were home and he said it was sun poisoning (I've never had it in my life) since I'd been at the beach. Now I'm wondering if it really was an allergic reaction since the benadryl gave me some relief.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here