Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hot all night long

Posted by rfordham811 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 6, 09 at 14:37

hello there. i am trying to get a sense of whether my symptoms could be perimenopausal. a month ago one night, i suddenly began getting significantly overheated at night, first while i slept, and then also toward evening time. this started after a significantly stressful event (6 weeks) of a diagnosis of IBS, where i experienced high levels of anxiety and subsequently went on anti-depressants (paxil). i am 41 years old, and my periods are as regular as they have ever been. i can not describe these episodes as 'hot flashes' because they are not flashes - they last all night long. i am not running a fever, either by mouth or skin temperature. when i am hot there is flushing of my skin, but i am not bright red. my throid tested normal, as did a test for TB. i am not soaking the sheets, only slight 'contact' sweating (like where my legs touch together). at night, my hands get so hot they are burning. if i get out of bed, i cool down, but as soon as i lie down again, i feel like a radiator. and here's the crazy thing - if i sleep in past sunrise, i am suddenly able to sleep and tolerate the bedcovers, even feeling warm and cozy or having a chill or two. i have no other symptoms, and tests since my IBS diagnosis have been normal (colonoscopy, red/white blood cell count, abdominal ultrasound, parasites, thyroid). Could this be perimenopause?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hot all night long

rfordham,
I just finished treatment for Breast Cancer and they checked my menopause status with just blood work. Ask your gyno or family doctor about that.
What is IBS? Irritable Bowel Synd.
Lori

o

I also experience nights where my whole body is hot...so much so that I shed my pajamas. I always sleep with the windows cracked open for cool air. Usually I need PJs to feel warm, but on those hot nights, I sleep comfortably without PJs. Just had a hot night two nights ago. Felt like I was burning up, head to toe. I also had a heavy night sweat night this week. Definitely peri-menopause. Don't panic.

o

It's all part of the CHANGE. My GYN said that during Menopause you get "all kinds" of heat issues, not just hot flash'es. :) Arum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here