Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to prometrium

Posted by wnkk1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 02 at 12:21

I have been diagnosed with estrogen dominence by my doctor.
I have not yet entered perimenopause but have lots of systems like incredible sore breasts for 2 weeks before my period, looking pregnant, tons of gas, etc.

I have to wait 2 weeks to start to get to the right part of
my cycle. Anyone have experience with prometrium used in
this situation? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to prometrium

How did your doctor diagnose "estrogen dominance?" Also how did s/he learn that you have "not yet entered perimenopause?" Sore breasts are a side effect of prometrium. See www.rxlist.com for a complete list of the side effects of promterium.

o

Hi I am new to prometrium too. I had the exact same question as you - breasts so painful it wakes me up at night. Someone from this board sent me this link to explain the breast tenderness.

http://yourlifesource.com/estrogen-receptors.htm

Anyhow I called my doctor to ask how long the breast tenderness was going to last - because it's been a week since I stopped the first course of Prometrium and they are still tender. She said those symptoms are more typical of estrogen. I find that interesting because her statement about estrogen matches the info in the link.

Unfortunately I don't take estrogen supplements so I can't cut down on it as the article suggests, but hopefully everything will stabilize over time. I am going to stick with it a bit longer and hope the pain stops.

I hope this helps.

o

Ask your doctor why she is ignoring the information Solvay has supplied that 16% of women taking progesterone develop breast pain vs 8% of those taking placebo. When a problem occurs twice as often with a drug as with placebo it's quite likely that the drug causes the problem. Natural physiology also supports the observation that progesterone may cause breast pain since it almost always occurs in the second half of the menstrual cycle when progesterone is increasing and estrogen is decreasing.

The link your "doctor" supplied is part of the John Lee quackery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here