Return to the Menopause Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very hungry

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 8, 07 at 10:56

When I was getting my periods, one sign that one was coming was the feeling of being famished all of a sudden. It's only been 4 months since I've had a period but these hunger pains came back yesterday in full force. Does this happen in menopause?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very hungry

Hi marie,
I found that I would get my usual pre-menstrual symptoms long after I didn't have periods any more. It would happen about when I should have gotten a period. I think we can still have alot of hormone fluctuation going on, even after we don't have periods any more.

o

You know when the estrogen drops, it takes a little of the seratonin in the brain with it. Of course we women self medicate, and eat (ususally carbs) to make that seratonin go back up. I try to drink more water on those days that I am eating my comfort foods.

o

Shotzy brings up a good point. I have self-medicated in this way far too long. There are other ways to bring our serotonin up, but unfortunately, eating is the easiest and fastest! I had knee surgery last summer, and had to be pretty consistent with my leg/knee exercises every day. I couldn't believe how much energy that gave me and how good it made me feel! Unfortunately.......eating is just too easy!
Marie....I know vegetables aren't comfort food, but can you fill up on those, before you turn to the brownies and macaroni and cheese?

o

Exercise brings up the serotonin fast! I have always been and all or nothing person. However, lately I will walk 10 minutes in one direction and turn around and walk 10 home. Two weeks into it, I felt better and my jeans felt alittle as well. I have started this year keeping the already cut up fruit and veggies (in bags or trays) I know they are on the pricey side, but when I am hungry, I want to reach for something fast.

o

I've been getting ravenous lately. It seems to happen at the times that my period won't come. Last year I gained 3 pounds in the three-month period when I was not "visited".

o

Still hungry all the time. It drives me nuts. Trying to walk more, now that it's nice outside. Wish there was something out there that would fill me up that's not fattening.

o

i never used to get the munchies at 2am until i had my hysterectomy! (and of course i'm on low sodium, lose a ton of weight diet, lol)

o

Today I've got the munchies and hot flashes! I had breakfast, then 2 20-ounce bottles of water.

o

I'm hungry all the time! And I gained so much weight it's embarrassing! I crave everything! I haven't had a period in over a year and it seems that the last few months have been the worst with this hunger! Maybe it's because I watched what I ate all of my adult life and I just got sick of it.When we used to take the kids out for banana splits, I got the banana! When we went out for hamburgers I tossed the bun! Bring on the banana splits and whoppers now and I'll show you how fast they'll disappear! lol Along with the libido, the willpower has gone out the window! Maybe I'm giving myself a pity party!
Steviefan
Steviefan

o

Steviefan: I hear you. I don't know why I can't stop eating. I gained 3 pounds in the last year. I was in McDonalds yesterday for a yogurt parfait. What I really wanted was the big hamburger with mushrooms on it! Thankfully I fought the urge, but it seems to be the story of my life lately, fighting the urge to eat. I wish the libido would come back. It's ironic that at a time where the chance of pregnancy is slim, I'm not in the mood!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Menopause Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here