SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicksmom_gw

I cannot win for losing....

nicksmom
15 years ago

So, out of the blue tonight my husband says, "I've been thinking maybe we should go to counseling".

HUH? Wha? Where did that come from?

It could be that I asked him to open a bottle that he put the lid on so tight (AGAIN!!!). When I asked him if he could open it, he asks me "Did I put this on here?" Well, since nobody else in this house is old enough for gin & tonic, and you and I are the only ones that make them, and I certainly couldn't put the damn thing on this tight...I'd guess YES!...you are the one who put it on so tight. I am, of course, accused of "always having something to complain about". Ohhhh-kaaaay...whatever.

Then, "maybe we need counseling".

Fact is, I cannot win for losing. If I ask for something (to be done, to be purchased, to be fixed, etc....) and do not give EXACT, SPECIFIC details/requests/instructions, I can be SURE that it will be half-done, incomplete, inaccurate. Then, if I correct/fix/request completion, I'm "never happy", or "nagging" or "complaining".

So, I should just give specific requests, right?

WRONG!

Then, I'm condescending/biotchy/snotty.

And if I don't share his viewpoint or opinion, I'm contradictory, contrary, clueless....blah, blah, blah.

I just don't get it.

I am not particularly strongly opinionated about much. I'm not highly political, religious, etc. I spend most of my professional life listening to other's lives, opinions, etc. I think I'm the same way at home. I really think everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's ok to speak it at home.

He says he wishes I could hear my tone of voice. I'll admit, I don't feel the need to coddle a nearly 50-year-old man. I feel like I should be able to say what needs to be said, without walking on eggshells, etc. I will also admit that when someone (like my husband) asks me a stupid question (ie, one he already knows the answer to), I'm certain I get the "duh" look on my face. But seriously, life is way to short to be cluttered up with such silliness...really.

Just a rant I guess...he throws "counseling" out there, and huffs off to bed. Ugh! Maybe he has PMS, like our 15yr old!

Comments (22)

Sponsored