SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lifeunknown

Help and advice needed - to divorce or not to divorce?

LifeUnknown
9 years ago

I could really use some outside advice and perhaps a fresh perspective.

Two months after I turned 18 I got married. I had known him less than 6 months, and it was a distance relationship where we had only met in person 3 times. Crazy, I know. I was essentially running away from home the only way I knew how. I thought I knew who I was and what I wanted from life. Did I love him? Deep down, not really. But I have never loved anyone. I don't let people close enough. When I did move in, I realized how little I knew him...white lies come so easily for him....

After 6 years, I do everything around the house (cleaning and yardwork) in addition to my full time job. Cherry on the ice cream - he got fired two months ago. This is the third job in the 6 years we are married, and he continues to have personality conflict issues. He has no filter, and further fails to take responsibility for the problems he thinks isn't his fault. This is not the future I want. All of the sudden, he decided he wanted to work on things (three weeks ago). He said he would try to do more, but he was missing the intimacy and physical connection we once had. The very idea now repulses me. I don't want to kiss someone I have to tell to brush their teeth and take a shower. I have built up the brick wall and I don't know that I WANT to take it down. It has been like taking care of a child. Occasionally he surprises me by doing stuff around the house, and I know I shouldn't be thankful because it is duty to help around the house. I don't know if I am just stubborn in believing things can be fixed, or if he is saying what is necessary to reach an objective.

I can't make a decision. My gut tells me it is wrong and I would be so much better off by myself. Logically I know I can make it work, but do I need the stress of supporting him every two years? I think I have been brainwashed by the small things he DOES do. Is my relationship with him that bad? He is very caring sometimes and it isn't like he is physically abusive. It could be so much worse...am I being mean wanting to divorce him while he is unemployed? I keep thinking it would make it easy for him to move back home without the tie to a job here.

I know I have my whole life in front of me if I decide to divorce him. But there is still a fear that I will be alone forever, and that in combination with his lack of a job makes me unsure what to do next.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated! Sorry for the length! :)

This post was edited by LifeUnknown on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 23:13

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert