SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roxbourgh_apt2

Is living with family to save for a house a good idea?

Roxbourgh_apt2
21 years ago

I am recently married and my husband and I pay about $600. a month in rent. We could save over $6,000. in a year if we did not have to pay rent. That would would be a modest down payment on a townhome or small row home in the Philadelphia area. On the suggestion of my mother I have been thinking about asking my elderly grandparents if we could move in for 6 months to a year to save for a house. In exchange we would run their errands and assist them around the house. (of couse we would pay a portion of the utilities and cook and buy groceries) My grand father is

very sickly and can no longer drive and my grandmother's vision is to poor to drive. This has kept my grand parents in the house and at the mercy of family to bring them groceries and other things. I think we could be a great help to them and they have plenty of room in their house.

The only problem is knowing where to draw the line with helping them out. I don't want to turn into their on call errand girl and my grandmother does have a habit of taking advantage of people kindness. She likes to act more helpless than she really is for the attention. I work full time and go to school and so does my husband. Our free time is limited and I just want to make sure we have time for the two of us because I believe that is important in a young marraige. Is moving in with my grandparents a good idea or should I try to save while renting?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County