SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heartandhome_gw

too much money talk

heartandhome
14 years ago

My husband and in-laws talk about money a lot, and lately it's been getting to me when we all get together --which is quite frequent---and I'm stuck in the room hearing it for long periods of time. From discussing where you can get a block of cheese for $3.99 vs. $4.99 to the cost of a nice dinner, a sale that's currently going on at such and such clothing store, etc....it just seems like how much things COST is taking up too much focus in the conversations we have when we get together.

It's not just the economy either. Everyone has stable jobs and is quite "comfortable". I think they've just always been like this--personality wise--in regards to it being somewhat of a hobby/interest to bargain shop. I think what's happening is I'm just noticing it more and more, and since I didn't grow up with all this constant comparison/ discussion about expenses left and right, I'm having a hard time adapting.

I wish I could talk to my husband and point out that maybe some of the "money talk" is a bit excessive, but I think he's so in the habit of their conversations being like this that he wouldn't understand.

What's compounding the frustration is that we recently moved into a new house and have been purchasing some pieces of furniture, doing some upgrading, etc. And my mother in law and husband are always talking about how much this piece of furniture or that home improvement project ended up costing. Since some of these things have been fairly large purchases, I feel like some of that should be our business, not hers! It's one thing to talk money about low cost "regular" items like an item at the grocery store, but it feels too personal to talk about some of the house stuff. I get the impression a lot of times that had she been the one picking the piece of furniture out, she could have found better "a better deal." That's frustrating to me because #1 we usually do plenty of research and go with the best price/item that fits our budget best #2 I work full time, and occasionally I only have time to do a few comparisons (as in 3 to 5 stores)--not 10 or 15!!! Sometimes for times sake, I'm willing to pay a little bit more in order to have that convenience. It's a lot easier to bargain shop when you have the time....Regardless, I just feel like it's our business and we shouldn't have to discuss money all the time/justify our purchases. It's one thing to be money smart, but it's another to let it dominate the conversation.

Does anybody have any advice?

Comments (10)

Sponsored