SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Using the in-laws for marriage counseling

freezetag
16 years ago

Could asking my mother in law for marriage counseling be acceptable? I am completely frustrated with dh lately, and I've given up on dh and I's ability to work out our differences (mostly about finances and parenting). I've told dh that I think we need a mediator, and even said he could choose anyone he wants - I just think we need someone else in the room so that we are not constantly misinterpreting each other. He doesn't want any sort of counseling, so I am left thinking that if he won't go, I should. I thought of my mother in law because she understands dh well, and has been able to work through some rough times with dh's dad. I know she would have our best interests in mind, and trust her not to repeat the things we discuss. With a counselor, I feel like there would be so much history to tell before we can even begin, and having heard some counselor horror stories, I don't even know that I would be very trusting for awhile.

I worry about involving my mother in law in our troubles, but she is already involved enough in our lives that I'm sure she must already be aware that we're struggling. Any thoughts on this?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH