Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
second marriage

Posted by pawprint1 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 11, 03 at 11:04

Is anyone on their second? I divorced in Jan. of this year. Was VERY lucky and met someone new. We are now engaged to be married on August 28th 2004. I'm very excited and happy, but so afraid of making the same mistakes again. I really with all my heart want this one to work, but am not completely over the failure of the first. I don't want to fail again.
Any advice as sometimes the past haunts me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: second marriage

I'm on my second (and last) marriage.

My suggestion would be to back off from the marriage date.

When my first marriage failed, I spent about a year just dating a little and hanging out with my friends. I actually met my husband a month after my divorce was final.

I did a lot of personal work, I did some counseling. I found out a lot about myself away from my marriage. I discovered and accepted the role I had played in the failure of my marriage.

DH and I dated for a year before my son even knew he existed. We dated for 3 years before we got engaged. We were engaged for over a year. So I definitely took my time before I got into another committed relationahip.

DH and I went to premarital counseling before we got married to discover and work through any issues we were bringing into the relationship.

Even after all of that, it's been very difficult at times.

I still will go back into old habits and worry about issues I had with my ex. My DH every once in a while will wonder if I've gone temporarily insane.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's difficult at best to go into a second marriage in such a short time after the first one.

Take your time.

There's no rush.

If it's true love he will understand and wait.

Good Luck,
Keli

o
RE: second marriage

It takes about two years to get over a divorce. I remarried within months and nine years later got out of that mess! I was single, dated various guys, and finally met the man I have now been maried to for 23 years.

I wouldn't rush the remarriage unless you both get some counseling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here