SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter_stahl

How do I win my wife's heart?

peter_stahl
16 years ago

My wife and I met in May in Moscow, got married in July in Las Vegas, got separated in Belgium in October, and now both in Moscow living separately. She's in her own place, me - at my brother's. I am 49, she's 39. I love her. She (says she) doesn't. She has a 21 yo daughter. She is well-off financially. She and her former boyfriend made money on RE operations. I am financially independent (rent some apts that I own), just enough for me to live a simple lifestyle.

Our mutual interest is Buddhism. She came to the States to see me because of that. Our romance had started in Moscow and continued in the states, leading to marriage. Life with my wife in the States was enjoyable. She was on "my territory" and she was wanted here. When we met in Belgium (she was taking a course there) things started to fail through quickly. In 2-3 weeks she asked me to leave, saying that she doesn't want the 'responsibility', that she doesn't love me, that I am a stranger to her. Instead of heading back to the states, I went to Moscow with hope to give it another chance here. When my wife got back to Moscow, she was an emotional mess. Communication ceased. She was seeing psychologist and undergoing some therapy. She said that our marriage had uncovered many emotional problems that she was blocking before.

Ten of so days ago my wife and I decided to make some efforts to reconcile (I called her). We met at her house for a half-hour conversation, but I ended-up staying there for three days. In a couple of days she offered me to go with her on a business trip. We went and had a reasonably good time. However, the tension is there. She planned a dinner with some friends of hers in a few days. Then she cancelled. I was upset. I went to see her at her apartment without invitation. Probably was a bad idea (certainly bad manners). She was mad that I invaded her privacy. Now we are talking on the phone (no personal contact). She is afraid that if we are getting close, it is going to be embarrassing to keep living separately. She is not prepared to share her space with me. She says that I am trying to make a good impression on her and it feels like fake to her. I admit that I donÂt feel quite my usual self. Mostly, I have no confidence nor see the need to retaliate on her sometimes abrasive words.

IÂd like to be able to persuade her to come back to the States and live with me for some time. I hope that change may do us good. What else should I try? How can I win her heart over?

I am omitting many details here. If more info needed  will provide. Please advise.

Comments (15)

Sponsored