SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minnesota_mama

influenced by domestic abuse shelter

minnesota_mama
15 years ago

Last year, my husband and I were heading downhill fast in our marriage. One day I came home to find his truck backed up to the garage. He quickly ran into the house when he saw me. Curious. I opened up his truck door to look inside. There I saw bank papers that showed he closed our account. I picked them up to read when he came out yelling at me. He grabbed the papers and me. My 12 year old daughter saw him and heard me yelling so she called the police. The police arrived. They arrested him and gave me the name/number of a domestic shelter to contact. I called the shelter and took out a restraining order.

It all seemed so out of control. I was angry with my husband over him closing our bank account. I also found my missing journals in the back of his truck. He had been denying taking my journals. From February until May, I had no contact with him. Then we met for lunch and started being honest with each other about some issues going on in our relationship.

My husband is now on probation and has a record for domestic assault. He's very angry over this. He's never had a record before. He feels that I turned on him by not stopping the arrest and for getting an order for protection.

I was never afraid of him physically. I let the domestic abuse staff influence me. Once you get involved with these domestic abuse groups, the emphasis is on how the man is dangerous and how the woman is 100% victim. Has anyone ever been in this type of situation and had their relationship survive? If so, how?

Comments (37)

Sponsored