SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda3775

Second marriage housing expense conflict

linda3775
14 years ago

We have a problem which is a threat to our marriage:

Dan and I married under Dan's condition that I move into his house, which I did. The house remains owned solely by Dan and is free and clear of any debt. The utilities run $250.00 per month. The taxes and insurance equates to $150.00 per month.

Once we married and I moved into Dan's home, the home that I lived in became a rental. Since it's been available for rent I have only been able to rent it out 50% of the time. The house remains solely owned by me and I collect the rent when it is rented out. I also pay the taxes, insurance and expenses on it.

This is the second marriage for both of us. We are in our late fifties and retired. Our children are grown.

We decided not to integrate our finances or assets. Both Dan and my (previous) homes are valued the same.

The question is:

Should I pay Dan for part of the utilities, taxes and/or insurance costs on his house while I am living there?

If so, how much is a fair amount?

AND, if so, should I also be required to pay rent to Dan in addition to paying part of the utilities, taxes and/or insurance? If so, how much?

As I said, this is causing a problem, as I am not in agreement with what Dan thinks is fair.

Please respond with your advice. Thanks!

Linda

Comments (13)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994