SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valerielo

How do you leave a good man?

valerielo
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

My husband and I have been together since I was seventeen. I'm now twenty-four and we have been married for three years. Since our wedding day I've doubted whether or not I made the right decision to marry him. During our first few months as a married couple I felt very lonely and would often cry myself to sleep as he sat playing video games with friends in our living room. Sex was non-existent and I felt more like a cleaning lady than a wife. We talked about it and he agreed that he wasn't being a very good husband and that things would change. Things DID change... Then they went back to how they were before. I would confront him and he would say he was sorry and then the cycle would repeat it self.

Sure, playing video games a lot doesn't sound like such a big deal and I get that. But it's all the little things. He won't do house work or yard work unless I nag him about it, he won't initiate sex and isn't usually receptive when I do. I find myself feeling very resentful towards him but at the same time I feel complacent. Like, every relationship will be like this so I might as well count my blessings. I feel like I'm living with a teenager. Is this what marriage is supposed to be like? I want to leave him but feel trapped by fear of loneliness and indicission.

My husband has a lot of commitments outside of the home and since I'm a student I know I should feel grateful that he is willing to work so much so I don't have to. But I don't feel that way. I feel sad and lonely and like everything takes president over me. I also feel increasingly more and more lazy: if he won't put away the dishes, why should I? If he won't plan a romantic night out why should I? I'm in my mid-twenties and my husband is in his late-twenties. If we are this unwilling to make our relationship work now, what will it be like ten years from now or when kids come into the picture?

There is another huge side to this story, one that I am not proud of. Last year I had an emotional affair with another man who is also in a committed relationship. It started out as a friendship. I would confide in him about how I was feeling about my marriage and how unhappy I was but I soon began to develop romantic feelings for him and he felt the same about me although he made it clear that he had no plans of leaving his partner. I accepted this and was just grateful to finally have that intimacy-void inside of me filled with his presence.

But, having our cake and eating it too did a number on both our hearts and we've since broken off communication with one another. But now I'm left feeling even emptier than before. This other man doted on me and adored me and made me feel like I only thought was possible in sappy romantic movies. Yes, the relationship definitely existed in its own bubble and were it to be subject to the pressures of normal life would probably not have invoked such a fever inside of me, but part of it was real and opened my eyes to a set of emotions I never dreamed possible.

Since the affair ended I've thought about leaving my husband almost everyday but can't muster the courage. He is not vicious. He is not abusive. He is not mean. HE has never cheated. Some days are good and I feel lucky to be with him, but more often than not I find myself looking down that empty stretch of highway and wondering what life would be like if I just kept on driving.

I know I have a good stable thing with my husband but the fire of this other love still burns passionately inside me and makes me crave more.

Any comments, suggestions and even criticisms would be appreciated.

Comments (15)

Sponsored