SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcils

the bad gets worse.

kcils
16 years ago

Hello all, this is not the 1st time I am posting on this board, when I think about it, it's sad to say that it seems like a reoccuring theme for me to come here every few months and seek advise for my marriage that is just not making much progress, about 3 months ago, my wife of 1.5 years and I were on the verge of divorce, then we found out she was pregnant so we have been in the process of trying to salvage our marriage to no avail, the run down on us, is we're both 25 been together for awhile 7.5 years total (since high scool) but spent 4 years apart during college. We both admit that we are not happy in this marriage, but when it comes to ending it, i guess no one wants to be the bad guy, I say life is too short for us to live unhappy, and she says I just want to give up, but we have been going round and round since day one, yea we have our civil moments where we sweep everything under the rug and do the loving couple thing, but it's just a cover for the problems that we really have. Now that we are expecting a child (which we are both happy about no matter what happens) it has definetley complicated the situation, see if we split up, she will move back to her home town where she will be happy, and i have to come to the realization and have accepted that these will be the terms. One of the few things that we agree on is that our child will have two good parents, but can we really raise a child if we go through life unhappy? wouldn't we be creating a unstable enviorment? we understand that a child will not save our marriage, but the foundation that needs to be layed for the future is just not there. The reasons that we have come to this situation, are not because there is infidelity issues in our marriage, or money issues, I can't even say we have trust issues, is just that we are just two very very different people that grew apart and tried to make a marriage happen in spite of everything else, not to mention she allows her mom (my MIL) to "run" our household from afar. I can honestly say that this marriage has put a huge weight on my shoulders, and I am tired of dealing with it, I have given my all and I'm not going to badger my wife and say she hasn't did the same, but can it be two people just aren't compatible?

Am I wrong for wanting out? am I the bad guy? is it wrong of me to be the one who actually takes the necessary steps into seperating? not to speak for her, but i know she is just as unhappy, we've said it to each other on many occassions, I know that some people "stay together for the kids" is this the right thing to do regardless if the two people in the marriage are unhappy?

we've tried counceling, we've talked to older family members, we've sat down with both our families for answers, but the circle just continues. I am in no way a selfish person, but when is it time to start thinking about myself, so I can starting focusing on what is now most important to me, being the best father i can.

thanks and all the reply's are appreciated.

Comments (14)

Sponsored