SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darcy2012_gw

So unhappy, but so scared.....

Darcy2012
10 years ago

This is very long. I need to vent so badly...

I am so unhappy, confused and scared. I have been with my husband for 22 years (married for 20 of them). For the majority of our marriage, he has pretty much acted like he couldn't care less if I were there. I always thought it was me. If I just did more of the things that I thought he liked, maybe he would see me as more than a room mate. I went so far as to alter my physical appearance to try to get him to notice me. I finally had enough about 2 years ago when I found some really bad stuff on his computer. I told him that as soon as I got my financial stuff together, I was leaving him. His reaction was "ok". I was crushed (not surprised), but at the same time, I felt liberated for the first time in a very long time!! I felt empowered and in control of myself like I hadn't in so long!! We went about life living separately but in the same house. Not long after that, I met someone. His wife of 13 years was moving out of their house. He and I hit it off right away. We spent a lot of time talking about family, friends, values, expectations and life in general. We really got to know each other as friends. At some point, my husband started realizing that I was serious about moving on and that maybe there was someone in my life that was paying attention to me. In other words, competition. I think that he thought that no one would ever be interested in me. At about the same time, the same thing happened with my friends wife. We both decided that we should give our marriages another try. The problem was, things would never be the same with our spouses. We had both realized that we weren't people that no one would want. That was a year ad a half ago. Our spouses have left and come back and left and come back (I know, the definition of insanity). So, the problem is that my friend has become my closest confidant and someone that I trust with all of my secrets. He is the same with me. I have told him things that I have never told anyone else and he has done the same. My husband is still in the picture. His wife is still in the picture. He also has 2 young children (10 & 12).

Here is my question, after so many years of being treated bad, why do I feel so guilty about completely cutting the ties with my husband? I care about him and really don't want to hurt him, but I don't want to be with him anymore. Too many years of being treated like I wasn't important or didn't matter have taken a toll on me. I want to run as far away as possible and not look back, but I am so scared. Why am I so scared?

Comments (9)

Sponsored