Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going from a Happy Moment to a Sad one.

Posted by klw1988 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 23:41

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I am married to a wonderful man and we just found out we are pregnant with out first child. Shortly after finding out, my mother-in-law was admitted to the hospital for having a stroke. Now, my mother-in-law's health is and has been very poor for a long time. While at home, my husband got a call from his sister stating that we need to be at the hospital Monday morning because his mother's doctor wanted to talk to us. They are saying she only has about 3 months to live. I am trying to hold strong for my husband and my in laws but I keep getting upset because I know that my children will never know their grandmother. I would love advice on how to handle the stress of this and the stress of being pregnant at the same time and also some advice on how i can tell my child when they are born and grow up about there grandmother.

Thank you, Kelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going from a Happy Moment to a Sad one.

Well Kelli, life sure is a roller coaster for you at this time.

I would say to you look for the "honey".

I have struggled through a lot of sadness in my life and I can honestly say, that saying that little mantra to myself has helped me a great deal.

It has allowed me to focus on the good things, which are there in any situation - it just takes great skill in finding them. And lets face it, we are very capable women who can hold our heads high and deal with life and death, and come out of it all with joy in our hearts.

I know you mother-in-law being ill is really horrible, but you have a gift - the little baby growing inside of you and that will bring you so much sunshine and joy.

When my mother died -- in amongst the sadness of loosing her, I saw my children (they were 5 and 10) at the time, as these wonderful joyous beings, who brought sunshine into my life. I realized that they were the future and my purpose was to look after them and guide them into adulthood.

Your children will learn about their grandmother through your husbands family stories, and they will be good times.

But - really- children have this great capacity to live in the moment and they are quite self centred so they will survive without a grand mother.

You place now, is to be supportive of your husband and his family - but you can focus on your future with your baby at the same time.

I think I have prattled on too much !

Take care

o
RE: Going from a Happy Moment to a Sad one.

Prayers for you.

I know this is a stressful time, but you have to make sure you are taking care of yourself. Stay healthy, exercise and eat right. Very important for you and your baby.

Second, it is sad, but be sure to talk to your mother in law and ask the things, and say the things that you won't be able to talk about later on when she's gone. You will cherish those memories forever, and you should consider it a blessing that you have the opportunity to say goodbye. While it's not easy, some people don't have that opportunity. Cherish it, and when the time comes it will bring you peace and give you the closure that you need. And write down all those things that you talked about and share that journal with your children when they are old enough to understand.

Saying a prayer for you and your family.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here