SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eezelpreezel_gw

How to deal with disagreements

eezelpreezel
20 years ago

Hi all. I've been in this forum reading alot, but this is my first post (other than on the Garden Web). My husband and I were married last year. One of the things I knew about him going into this was that he doesn't like to deal with conflict head on. He'd rather just clam up until he "gets over it." Anyway, I can deal with that. My problem is that EVERY time I disagree with something, he gets mad. I'm not allowed to have my own opinion without paying a price for it, namely the silent treatment. This is true for any type of difference, as small as what color towels to buy and as big as money issues. I don't feel its fair to be "punished" for having my own opinion. How should I deal with this? The worst part is, even if I end up seeing I'm wrong and apologize, it doesn't matter. Once he's mad, he won't communicate until he's ready to, period. Part of it is my fault because I sometimes just don't know when to shut up. Mostly I just try to get him to say that we agree to disagree, but he won't even give up that much. If it's not how he thinks or feels, then it's wrong. Any advice?

Comments (8)

Sponsored