SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

This seems like kind of a minor problem compared to some of the worries on this forum, but does anyone have advice for dealing with a pack rat? I'm to the point where I'm considering renting a storage unit. We moved from a house with an oversized garage and an attic to a larger mid-century modern house with characteristically limited storage. Now admittedly part of the problem is my own sloppiness, but my DH will not part with anything.

We have 25 year old books from his undergrad degree -- a field in which he has never worked, bits and pieces of cheap furniture, ratty old appliances and all of it is far too precious to discard. For instance there is a bread machine in the garage sucking up a chunk of precious storage real-estate. He has never once used it during the entire time we've been married. He never cooks. Ever. But we've got to store the damn thing, just in case. He about popped a gasket when I gave away his cheapo bachelor microwave and absolutely refused to let me give away the set of dishes that we no longer use. He's not cheap and we could easily afford to buy a new microwave or a bread machine or what have you, but he insists that we store all of this dusty, rusting crap just in case we need it some day. We can barely get to our cars in the garage and all of the closets are stuffed to bulging. When I buy something new, my worry is not whether I can afford it, but whether I can store it. Help!!

I might add that to date my solution has been to store his precious stuff and when he isn't looking trot selected items off to Goodwill. Mostly he doesn't notice, but when he does it's a crisis. I've never discarded anything that wasn't mass produced or that has sentimental value or that is in any way irreplaceable. His concern is that someday we might need it.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living