SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Lying, and going behind one's back

rivkadr
14 years ago

I just discovered something very upsetting -- a handgun in the drawer of my husband's desk. I'm upset because he and I discussed the possibility of getting one a few months ago (our neighborhood could be described as "transitional", and there's been a spate of crimes lately). At the time, we talked it over, and I expressed my strong feelings against getting one, for a few reasons:

- I'm a proponent of gun control, and do not personally feel comfortable having a gun in the house

- statistically, they say that the likelihood of someone following through on a suicide is much higher in a house with guns. My husband is bipolar, and has been suicidal in the past.

- the likelihood of getting to the gun, and of it being of any use during an actual home robbery seems unlikely.

What upsets me is that we discussed it, agreed not to get one, and then he just went right ahead and got one anyway. I feel like I can't trust him right now, like he has completely disregarded my feelings on this, simply pretended to agree with me to shut me up, and then went behind my back to get the gun.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, or how to discuss it with him. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

Sponsored