SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phyllis_philodendron

Relocating for job opportunities

I feel like I have a dilemma - or at least the start of one!

For starters, Dh and I have been married a little over 3 years. He teaches at a private school and I'm a SAHM to our 10-month-old son. I also do some freelance writing/editing work on the side.

For a while DH has been stressed and somewhat unfulfilled with his job. We don't live/work in a typical situation - we work and live at the school so he is with students almost all the time. He has been thinking about sending resumes to other schools, although the opportunities are limited since he is not certified - you don't have to be to teach at a private school - and since he has no desire to teach in a public school, I don't see him becoming certified in the future, which is no problem.

He wants to apply to schools in Eastern PA, near his parents, where there are many possible opportunities. The problem is, I don't want to live there! I lived in that area for three years before we were married and while I was single, it was great. Now that we're married and have a family, not to mention have been living in the "country" for all this time, I'm used to the relative peace and quiet. I'm used to being near the city but far enough away. Same with the inlaws. While we have a good enough relationship and they're very generous and caring, I am not close to them. Especially not like I am with my mom. And I don't think that would change if we were geograpically closer.

DH is worried about his mental health status if we stay; I'm concerned about mine if we leave! I don't want to live in an area that's gotten so overcrowded and busy that I feel like I can't breathe or travel by car without significant stress. I don't want my inlaws (or DH's neurotic sister) on my doorstep all the time. While I want them to see their grandson, I'm not sure I could take regular visits.

I also would miss seeing my mom more often, since she's only 4 hours away. She visits quite frequently (but doesn't hover or overstep her boundaries). Yet since we've been married, and even though the inlaws talk about how much they want to see us, etc. they've only visited us once up here.

I finally told DH that I didn't want to live there, and he understands, but he wants to apply anyway to see what opportunities might be available. While that's great and all, I almost know without a doubt he would probably get hired as he's a former student of the school and former resident of the area. Everytime I visit the the area (and since I used to live there) I just don't see how I could be happy there. *Sigh*

Any words of advice?

Comments (4)

Sponsored