SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadastimer

Learning a lot about MIL this week...vent!

nadastimer
21 years ago

Ok, I'm not married yet but after 4 1/2 years and a 3 year old, it sure feels like it! LOL The family considers me part of it so that's what matters...

This past week, I've learned a lot about my MIL...to the point where I find I can't believe a single thing she says! She's the type that always has something to say about others and their faults, or so she thinks they are. She doesn't like one DIL for being a little bigger and now I'm horrible because I lost weight...one of us worries too much, the other doesn't worry enough~if you work you're important, if you stay home with your kids your a bum...those type of things. The thing is to your face, she makes you feel like you're the only one she likes and the only one doing it right. To others, she says something different. My SIL's and I figured it all out and have come forward and have been telling each other what's going on and being said. While complaining about the others to us, she's found ways to say things to make us hate each other. It was at a point none of her boys really talked to each other and the SIL's hated to be around one another so family functions were weird (but the kids LOVE each other to death). We're now speaking up and finding she's done the same to all of us and really we have no reasons to hate one another because whatever she said the other said, we didn't...she made it up or said it herself. I can't believe a mother would try so hard to keep her family a part and at war! I just can't believe this has been happening all these years. I looked at this woman and thought she was a decent person and I liked her. Now I'm finding that I liked the person she let me think she was all while digging for info to use against me! The boys are all seeing through her,too. We're trying to handle things through distance and it pretty easy considering she hardly ever comes to visit or calls us. But once we put distance in there, she does tend to show up or call or something and we feel bad because she hasn't see DS in so long. But almost right away she's got her nose in our business (to the point where she figures out how much you make, how much your bills are and how much she thinks you paid for whatever you bought and tells you you can't be making it!) She knows WAY too much. She either figures it out on her own or finds out from others...like she's tried calling my family members to dig up info!

So have you ever thought you had someone figured out and found out you were totally wrong? What did you do when it was a family member or someone close? Should I feel bad that my son isnt' seeing her because that's his grandma? And my fiance' is VERY close to his step father but it's impossible to talk to or visit with him because of her. She won't let the man do anything and even if my fiance' calls just to talk to ask a simple question about the car or a house repair, she always knows what's being said and keeps commenting and telling fiance' what to do. So that means no contact with his step father, too and it upsets him...

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!