SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherwoodva

Husband is fat and has health problems

sherwoodva
12 years ago

Compared to other postings, I guess this is minor, but I am getting really fed up. My husband is about 40 pounds overweight and it has a negative impact on our marriage. He is on blood pressure meds, he snores, he has low energy. In addition (not known to be related to the weight) he has all kinds of allergies and recently developed asthma. He is 51.

He does not eat sweets or junk foods, he just eats large portions of everything and rarely exercises. He can't exercise outside because of his allergies. We belong to a gym, but he doesn't go.

He also does not seem to care if he makes a mess. I have to keep after him to put things away. He would never think of cleaning anything other than the dishes if I didn't ask him. Funny how he can be so dedicated at work and so casual at home.

I love him, and I know he loves me very much, but he seems to think that it will be impossible for him to lose weight. I work hard at keeping the weight off. I am "normal" sized (medium) at 140 lbs and 5'6" I exercise several times each week and would like to lose five pounds but have kept my weight within my target for the past 25 years. Admittedly, my physiology is different from his. That is why I don't know what to say to him. I tried nagging and know that doesn't work. I tried telling him it worries me. That doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Comments (22)

Sponsored