SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lainy_gw

What do you call your in-laws if NOT 'Mom/Dad'?

Lainy
20 years ago

This kind of relates to my other post about my FIL but it is really a separate subject, hence a separate question: If you don't call your in-laws "Mom" and "Dad", what do you call them?

I was never comfortable with calling my in-laws Mom and Dad, but they - and my now late husband - absolutely insisted on it. I was later estranged from my husband for several years before he died, which my FIL knows although he said he "does not want to know" the circumstances. (he probably wouldn't believe it if he were told). I recently completed a legal name change back to my maiden name because for numerous reasons I didn't want to retain my LH's surname. My FIL does not know I've done this and would undoubtedly throw a nuclear-bomb explosion of a fit if he did, at my "disrespect to his family's name". Anyway, he obviously still expects me to continue to refer to him as "Dad" which makes me even MORE uncomfortable now than it did while I was actually married. My own father died in the mid 1990s and it really bothers me to have to address someone else by that name. Obviously it would be disrespectful of me to address my FIL by his first name. And I don't think that suddenly calling him "Mister C" would fly very well either. He's not the type of person with whom anyone could have a calm rational discussion about anything like this. It is probably a no-win situation but I am curious as to what other in-laws are accepting of being called, if not "Mom" or "Dad". And whether there are other daughter- and sons-in-law who feel that those names are more properly kept for their own parents (for whatever reasons).

So, what do you call your in-laws and why?

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!