SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hlmhr

One thing you wish you knew before you got married?

hlmhr
16 years ago

I'm not married yet, but my BF and I recently went ring shopping and are planning on a marriage date of January '09 (scheduling issues related to school for me require lots of planning - and we're both researchers/planners so we're looking way ahead here).

Anyway, I wanted to solicit advice from anyone who's been married for any length of time about the one thing you wish you knew or the one conversation you wish you had with your partner before you got married.

My boyfriend and I are in our 30's, and he has a young son that he is solely responsible for. We talk very openly about making sure that getting married is the right decision for our heads and our hearts. We've talked about money and are visiting a financial counselor to clean up some of his past issues; we discuss child raising and share similar beliefs about kids (although I'm the 'bad cop' and he's the 'good cop' we tend to play off each other well); and we talk openly about sex and general intimacy. It's a first marriage for both of us and we are probably overly analytical about it after having witnessed so many friends and family members go through heartbreaking divorces. We really want to go into it as strong and as prepared for success as we can be.

Any advice from seasoned veterans is welcomed and appreciated!

Comments (14)

Sponsored