SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lov2garden

Rudely Excluded?

lov2garden
21 years ago

I took me a while to notice but whenever my mother-in-law or brother-in-law are around my husband, the conversation almost immediately goes to topics familiar only to them (people, places, things) and no room is left for me to participate. This can go on for an hour or so and only ends when they leave. At first, I listened intently but now after a few years I realize there is a pattern and I am starting to feel insulted. This doesn't happen with my family or friends. We were taught to include everyone in the conversation and that it was rude otherwise.

Now I am wondering if this is bad manners or a little passive/aggressive on their part? I guess I feel somehow they are re-affirming their "loyalty bonds" but leaving me out. I am also finding it odd because they all see each other everyday at work and in the community where we live.

I would say I was being over sensative but my son (from a prior marriage) asked me the other day why they talk about people we don't know all of the time (out of the mouths of babes!). Now, rather than sit there feeling insulted, I politely excuse myself and go do something else...and it doesn't seem to matter to them.

How would you feel? I'm trying to just accept it as the "way they are" and go on with whatever I want to do.

Comments (7)

Sponsored