Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Common Law Marriage affidavit

Posted by MysticMom (whouse0430@aol.com) on
Sun, Aug 31, 03 at 11:22

Hello all I am in need of help from someone in wording a legal document so that I can have it notorized. I am needing to word an affidavit declaring a common law marriage.Very strange situation so I will give a small background. We have been together 16 years of that we were legally married 6 and were legally divorced 3 years ago. We have since that time been living together as husband and wife and I need something saying this to "prove" our relationship. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Common Law Marriage affidavit

I would just write that you have been "holding yourselves out as husband and wife for 3 years". Give examples of exactly what you've done to show you are behaving and living as husband and wife. (Registering at hotels or joint bank accounts, tax filing "married joint", ect.

Please check your state though - in Ohio Common Law marriages were done away with in 1989 (or some year around then...) There is no such thing around here any longer. Check your state law.

P

o

Hi, Mystic Mom --

I noticed you live in Texas. You're in luck, as Texas recognizes common law marriage and it sounds like you fit the criteria:

"Three elements must be present to form a common law marriage in Texas.
First, you must have "agreed to be married."
Second, you must have "held yourselves out" as husband and wife. You must have represented to others that you were married to each other. As an example of this, you may have introduced you partner socially as "my husband," or you may have filed a joint income tax return.
Third, you must have lived together in this state as husband and wife."

I copied that from the web page below. Click on the link for more details...

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Law Marriage in Texas

o

and if you want, you could always get married again, officially, w/o fanfare.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here