SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vivian_7

I am so down...

Vivian Kaufman
16 years ago

I have been married to my husband for six years now (second marriage for us both), and have two great stepkids--girl (16) and boy (13). I've been a part of their lives for almost 10 years now. They're great kids and I have NO complaints about them at all.

In February, my husband had what amounted to a panic attack at his job. He ended up at the ER at the local hospital. He (my husband) attributed it to job stress. I certainly was aware that he "hated" his job but really didn't give it much thought. Lots of people do. I had discussed it with him many times and told him that I thought maybe he ought to change jobs if he hated it that much. He chose not to do it and ended up stressed out and (so he felt) unable to return to work. Long story short, he spent a few months at home on disabiltiy visting various doctors, counselors, etc., eventually quit his job and is now trying to be in business for himself doing tile setting and other home improvement stuff.

My problem is that I feel resentful and put upon and just plain old damn tired. Since February, I have worked the equivalent of two full time jobs just trying to keep bills paid around the house. I'm angry because he chose to have his little dramatic episode instead of being a responsible man and simply finding another job when that one became too much for him. I would've FULLY SUPPORTED that decision. I have no free time or time to myself. There's no time for me to do ANYTHING that I used to love and want to do. I can't. I have to work. (I work a full time job at the hospital and I also have a thriving home-based medical transcription business) I begged him to go back to work earlier this summer. I tried to get him to take a full time job that offered some benefits--like health insurance, vacation, etc. while he built up his tile business, but he refused. If he would take a full time job, I would be able to let one of mine go, but he shows no interest at all in it. Meanwhile, I get more tired and more angry--even though I don't show it. Getting angry with him doesn't accomplish anything. I've tried it. I've tried reasonable conversation, but he doesn't hear me or he's just not all that interested in the way I feel. I cry all the time and he doesn't know. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about leaving--knowing that life shouldn't be like this--but leaving him costs me everything--my whole family. (I have very little of my own left) I don't care about the material things, but I do care about the kids and the rest of his family that I've become close to over the years. Him I can leave, but the thought of leaving the kids KILLS me.

I don't know if there's a solution. I don't know that I'm even ready to do anything. I just know that life shouldn't be drudgery/sleep/drudgery/sleep and that there should be some joy in life--even a little. I feel really stupid to putting myself in a financial position that even requires two incomes but neither one of us separately makes enough to support the family--unless of course, I work two jobs. Lucky for me I've been able to keep our heads above water.

Thanks for listening. I need to get back to work now...

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions