Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marriage counseling works :-)

Posted by close_1972 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 8:16

I wanted to share with the forum that my marriage is better: I'm happier, DH is happier, we can communicate effectively with each other now, and he has been keeping his temper under control. We are both more attuned to our own feelings and how our behavior affects the other person. This forum helped me with some personal stuff, and marriage counseling helped DH and I with the marriage stuff.

We went to marriage counseling for about 1 1/2 years, probably averaging every 2 to 3 weeks. Some of it was together, some separately. It's not over, but is definitely winding down. I'm amazed, and very happy, to be at this point. There were times when I didn't think it would happen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marriage counseling works :-)

That's so wonderful! I'm so happy to hear it. I really wish I could get DH to go but he just has no interest at all.

I think the communication part is key, without that your just stuck. Good for you & your DH!!

~Cat

o
RE: Marriage counseling works :-)

Hello,
I am a lurker, but I have to add my 2 cents worth too :)

I am married to a verbally abusive husband and my depression was so bad I didn't want to live and divorce would be very messy. We have been married 7 years, and from what I am told 7 years can be the toughest and is generally the "make or break" turning point in a marriage.
So my last resort was to go talk to one of my associate pastors to be counseled. I have been going for a month on my own and didn't hide it from my husband, because I don't like secrecy, and things have done an almost 180 degrees. He didn't like it or agree, but let me go if I never asked him to go with me and I agreed. I love being counseled, and the biggest surprise is my husband is starting to change with me. I wish he would come, but he is proud and doesn't want a pastor to know that he isn't as nice as the general public thinks he is. He was vicious at home but in public he was as sweet as sugar and no one was the wiser. I didn't tell friends or family because it was embarrassing and I didn't think anyone would believe me because he was careful not to let it show.

I am an absolute supporter of counseling of any form or for anyone in a troubled marriage. Even if it's just to go and ask for advice once or twice, please do go, it helps to talk it out and get another opinion or point of view. I know my situation is unique and many men will never change, but if you can, please give counseling a try if you are able to go.

~ HomemadeCountry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here