SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett2001

It's Groundhog Day...again

scarlett2001
9 years ago

You guys know the Bill Murray movie, Groundhog Day? He wakes up every day and it's the same day. Everything happens just the same and everybody says and does the same things.

Lately I feel like that's my life, especially with regard to DH. He tells me the same things over and over until I can say the words right along with him, like an old re-run you have seen 200 times.

Like yesterday was our anniversary so we went out to a nice restaurant. He spent the whole time re-living all the details about his past girlfriends and wives. Believe me, I know everything about these women, down to what color their undies were!

Then he looked around the restaurant and said, "this used to be the Chart house".

Immediately I knew he would launch into a description of the baseball-cut steaks they used to serve. He did, Then I knew he would cup his hands to show me the size and shape the steaks used to be. He did. Then back to the same stories I have heard so many times. It's almost kind of eerie.

I've heard of old people doing this, but he's not that old. I have nicely told him that he's repeating himself to death, but to no effect. I have asked him if he is unhappy and looking back to other times, but no, most of his past stories are not happy ones. I just don't know how to cope. I feel like I'm not even there, I have tried introducing new subjects, he just reverts.

Every single day he starts this before we get up and it never stops. I have tried to be patient, to be nice, to understand, but I'm ready to pull out my hair.

Is it normal to dwell so much on stuff that happened years ago?

Comments (29)

Sponsored