SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett2001

Poor Edna

scarlett2001
13 years ago

Would you please indulge me for a few moments and read this short entry? It's is a true tale of one of my family members, Edna, or, as she became known in the town, "Poor Edna".

Edna married very young and was miserable. Her husband was not an abuser, a drinker nor really any type of bad guy except kind of a clueless, kindly schlub. He supported Edna and eventually their three kids, but her marital woes grew every year and she freely voiced her discontent to everybody in the town. Edna even ran to the religious leaders, the ministers and even the town priest, who suggested marriage counseling. Edna declined. She was, she said, too distraught.

After many decades of this, Edna finally inherited about $500,000- in those days and in the place where she lived, enough for her to easily leave the husband and establish herself as an independent woman. Edna's troubles were finally over, the townspeople rejoiced for her!

However, Edna chose to stay married. Without the constant attention she got from sympatheric friends, she had no identity. So Edna became a kind of martyr to the permanancy of the marriage vows and lived (loudly and unhappily) with the guy another 50 years, earning herself a sort of celebrity status in the town and, I'm SO SURE, a crown in Heaven.

The moral of this story - do you see very many Ednas here?

Comments (7)

Sponsored