SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnementh

how to deal with a disrespectful husband?

Mnementh
9 years ago

I've been having a real problem with my husband lately that seems to be stemming around two problems. The first is that we have been unable to find a way to effectively argue where the hurt feelings go away when the "problem" is resolved. I feel like the goal in how we argue becomes to demean the other person. In all honesty, this was his habit from the very beginning but I find myself taking part in demeaning him more and more in retaliation. The second problem is that he has to go to a job on the weekend which he absolutely hates. It has become his pattern to become irritable with me early Saturday morning and when I become less than cheery after, he says I am trying to start a fight. The reason behind him being angry has been anything from: "you didn't take you're phone off of vibrate after work" to "I woke you up by accident and you didn't go back to sleep so you made me feel guilty."

He also says that he "needs time to cool off" but to him that means that I either need to leave or otherwise not talk to him at all until he says I can. I believe that if he wants space to himself than the burden of leaving the room is his, not mine. I have no idea how to gain respect from someone who thinks that the way I should earn it is to let him disrespect me, but maintain composure. Frankly, I have yet to gain that maturity. I'm still very hot headed if I perceive disrespect, particularly if I think they are asking for something from me before.

Has anyone experienced this type of behavior to where it was able to be resolved? If so...how?

Comments (10)

Sponsored