Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would have done??

Posted by lsjtc (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 8:46

This is a family matter, but one that is causing some marriage problems. We have a family member that we have had some conflict with the past 6 years, but we still get along and are civil to each other. We recently received a graduation announcement from this family with no note of a graduation party...only the commencemnet announcement. I checked with a few other family members thinking they were having a party later, but they all told us they rc'd an extra note inside the commencement announcement regarding a party. I first thought possibly it fell out when I opened the envelope, but the party note was the size of a post card. I realize this was very possibly an oversight, but seeing that we have had conflicts in the past, I did not feel right calling and asking about it. I sent a card and money to the graduate and we did not attend the party and now these family members are very cold to my husband and I. Did we do the correct thing? Thanks for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would have done??

"I realize this was very possibly an oversight, but seeing that we have had conflicts in the past, I did not feel right calling and asking about it."

I would have found out if it was an oversight.

Do they know WHY you did not attend?

o

Yes, they do know why we did not attend and have not come forward with any explanation.

o

So were you NOT invited on purpose or by oversight (according to them, since you say they know....)?

o

They know, but I'm not sure when they became aware of this. Whether it was on purpose or an oversight and they found out after the party.

o

Again... which was it?
Did they not invite you on purpose... or was it a mistake on their part?

o

Rise above the pettiness of these people. Just ask them if there is a problem, explain your side of it.

o

I don't understand yet, either. 1) Have they told you they're mad because you didn't attend the party? 2) if yes, did you tell them that you didn't get an invitation? 3) if yes, what did they say?

You say they know why you didn't attend (the party??? or the ceremony???), and they ddn't come forward with any explanation. That sounds as though they didn't hear it from you. Is all of this conversation happening throughout the family but not between you (and husband) and the person in question?

Why not just call and say you feel some tension and try to get to the bottom of the apparent hurt feelings (theirs and yours)?

o

I guess we are not going to get an explanation.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here