SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyyanks_gw

Husband jealous of career

jyyanks
13 years ago

My husband and I have been married 7 years. When we first got married, he was the primary bread winner and I was doing something I love but not making a ton of money. After having my second child, I was ready to quit my job but they offered me the chance to work part time. Although my husband had wanted me to stay home, he recognized that I had an incredible opportunity to make money and still be able to take care of the kids.

At that time, since it was obvious that I was going to continue my career, we decided to take out a loan to renovate our house. After about a year, I got offered a full time job at another company where I they offered me 37% more but I had to work 4 days a week instead of 3. I got promoted within a year and my salary pretty much became double of what it was when I originally went back to work. This allowed us to refinance our home and we actually went from having a 30 year mortgage to a 15 year mortgage.

Another 2 years have gone by and my company has continued to grow. In fact, my division is expanding and I am in a very good position in terms of growth and opportunity. However, I am in the sales and marketing division which means a lot of late nights and travel about 1-2x/per month. I used to only travel occasionally, but my boss is on maternity leave and with the company's expansion, the SVP of my department has looked upon me to take a leadership role within the group.

The issue is my husband. Ever since I started going on more business trips and after work events, he has taken on a severe attitude. I have tried to do the right thing- call often, tell him how much I miss him, call my parents to help out in my absence, take crazy flights to get earlier even if it means I have to fly the red eye, leave after work events so I can get home to him earlier etc etc. He has responded by being rude to me and non communicative. When I finally confronted him about his attitude his exact response was "I am sick and tired of you galavanting all over the place while I have to stay home and pick up the slack." He then proceeded to say he was going to "get a job like mine so he could do whatever he wants"

I am stunned and hurt but most importantly disappointed. This is a real eye opener for me and shows me that he really does not support me. In fact, I believe he is quite jealous of my success and its ugly. I will add that he still makes more than me, so not sure why he is so bitter.

Sorry this is so long but I am upset and just wanted to vent. Thanks for letting me get it all out.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!