SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perkladd

Opinions please...regarding SAHM's

perkladd
17 years ago

Hi there,

I have been a SAHM for the last 16 years. Although I did take part time work sometimes, usually when we needed to bring in extra money. I also took care of my mom for a couple of years as she was dying of cancer, which was a lot on top of caring for my kids at the time. I always thought (and still do) that I was making the right choice for myself and my children. The business that we started when we were first married kind of took off and my husband did not have a set schedule also, so that was hard to work around. A lot of times I couldn't even count on him to watch the kids, as he would "forget" to get home, or make me late to work.

Anyway, my husband has always thrown this is my face, (that I never had a career, or was the breadwinner). Our marriage right now is coming to an end, and when I hear this it just angers me to no end.

His view(s) are/were that:

1) He makes the money so he decides where it will go.

2) He makes the money, therefore he works harder than a SAHM

3) Since I'm not out in the "real world" I am not an equal partner.

4) He makes the money so he can come and go as he pleaes.

This is the way it has been since day one. Anything and everything that he ever bought for me, or the kids he feels he has done us a big favor. He even went so far as to say that myslef and my kids should feel grateful that we live in this house, that HE pays for. Granted, he has had every expensive toy known to man! Brand new corvette, Harley's, boats, trips to Vegas. But for me and the kids it has always been like pulling teeth just to get him to spring for a family vacation.

I am majorly venting I guess. Please post your thoughts, I'd really like to know if all men feel this way or anybody else has been in this situation. Many Thanks

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert