SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolssis

need advice, brother in law

carolssis
10 years ago

My brother in law moved in with us, he was homeless thru no fault of his own. Has applied for disability, not approved yet, has no income. We are retired, have limited income, obvioulsy. We are happy to have him here, but he seems to be clueless about money all of a sudden. He got food stamps, good, we need the help. But he smokes, $90 to $120 a month for that. He doesn't seem to realize his eating and drinking habits are affecting us all. He drinks lots of soda, over $30 a month worth. Last month I totaled up over $60 spent on junk. chips, ice cream, soda. I don't know how to bring it up to him without hurting his feelings. We keep our soda consumption in check, don't drink 2 or 3 a day. We rarely have lots of chips here, last week we got 2 more bags, and there were already 5 bags here! We usually have 2, that last a month or more. My bil stated he could live on sour cream and onion chips and ramen noodles. Well good, but what about the rest of us? My hubby seems to think that since the food stamps are bil's he should make the decisions about how it's spent. Not good, he's not thinking. How do I bring this touchy subject up? and advice is welcomed gladly!

Comments (4)

Sponsored