SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinylady_gw

house was mine first

tinylady
15 years ago

I bought a house in 2001. I got married in 2003. WE have refinanced a few times in both our names to fix the house. But his name is not on the deed.IN fact my old name is still on the deed. I bought the house with the money that I received from the death of my parents. If we get a divorce, which I wish I could, what legal rights does he have to the house? Keep in mind when we got married he didn't really have anything nor could he get a credit card. He rented a bottom floor apartment, had a beat up old ford car, no savings, bad credit, furniture from his parents.

After we were married we bought, well it started out that we were buying him a truck, but I found out then right after getting married that his credit was bad. So the truck is in my name.

Since our marriage and me handling his and my money, he has aquired a truck, cruising motorcycle, and large shop,and a nice home,new furniture, vacation money, and money in a savings account.

So my question is, what legal rights do I have when it comes to my home. Will he be able to get half of it?

I live in NJ

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022