Return to the Marriage Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pregnancy and birth control?

Posted by tbaron (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 18:54

Hello everyone!

I am brand new here, so I would like to tell you a little about myself.

I am 18 years old, 19 in July, and am newly married. I have dated my husband since I was 14. This November we will celebrate 5 years of dating each other. We were just married less than 2 weeks ago. I am loving every moment of the married life. My husband and I did not live together before we got married. We both moved in together from our parents' houses. It was such a change, but a wonderful one.

I absolutely love greeting my husband when he comes home from work and I love seeing him each morning. He is just right there and I don't have to wonder when he is going to call me that day. He's right there!

I know marriage is rough and we are extremely young. (He is 18 as well) But we are doing great. What marriage doesn't have its ups and its downs every now and then?

So anyways, now to my question.

I have been on Ortho Tricyclen for the last 3 months. I just started in when my husband and I set a date for our wedding. I have been doing good with taking the pill so far and haven't had any major side affects. (so far.) Here is the deal.

We have agreed that he would use condoms even though I am on birth control. We are just too young to worry about children, so we decided to be as careful as we possible could be.

There was one night about a week ago (we were still on our honeymoon) when his condom broke. I really doubt there was very much semen because, well, put it straight, he wasn't really putting out very much since we left on our honeymoon... Please tell me that makes sense!

I had a thought yesterday. What if I got pregnant when his condom broke? The pills aren't 100% effective, after all, and any amount of semem, no matter how deluted it was, can result in pregnancy.

I am still taking my pills. I can't take a regular pregnancy test until it is time for my period. If I miss my period, well, chances are I got pregnant. But the fact is, I can't find out until then!

Here is my question.

If my husband got me pregnant that night on our honeymoon and I am still taking my birth conrol pills, what can happen?

Will taking the pills while pregnant affect me or a potential fetus?

Once again, we really are not ready to have a child, so I am hoping beyond hoping that I will get my period next month.

Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you so very much!!!

-Tara-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pregnancy and birth control?

Chances you got pregnant are pretty much nil, so you should stop worrying. As far as IF you are, there are many people out there that are birth-control pill babies (I know that contradicts what I just said, but bear with me here). Those people are the ones that their mothers got pregnant while #1 being the .01% chance of getting pregnant failure rate while on the pill or #2 not taking the pill regularly, but still taking it.

Since MOST of the time you've used double forms of control, again chances are very very very very (you get the idea) slim you're preg.

As far as taking the preg test...read them, you may be able to still your fears and take them, I think EPT you can take them earlier than after a missed period.

Vickey-MN

o

Too late for this time, but have some emergency contraception around at all times (Plan B or such), which prevents conception for day or two later (see their web site.) Still requires a prescription (for politcal reasons) but hopefully won't much longer if the FDA gets its way.

o

I seriously doubt that you are pregnant. But good for you for being a responsible adult and planning ahead for your future together. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you don't get your period, take a test. Otherwise, keep enjoying yourself! :)

o

If you do get pregnant, let us know because its a miracle! Dont worry, at all. I have been with the same guy for 4 years, and on the pill only for most of that.....needless to say I'd probably have a few kids by now...so it works. You are being very responsible...I commend you for that!

o

I wouldn't recommend Plan B if you are on the pill. This can be dangerous. However your dr. would explain this too you.
Plan B is for women who are not on the pill already.

Nearly all my friends use the pill, without another sort of birth control, and no one has had an unplanned pregnancy.

Remember though, certain drugs, like antibiotics can prevent the pill from working so if you are taking something it is smart to double up on protection. That is also something to discuss with your Dr. next time you visit. Certain herbal supplemants can also affect the pill.

I wouldn't be worried at all. I am sure everything is fine!
Just like Victoria said: "if you do get pregant, let us know because its a miracle!"

-renee

o

Wow, thanks a ton everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to calm my mind. I will still hope for my period though. And some of the side affects of the pill say some spotting may happen and some women report missing a period all together. Since I've only been on it for a few months, I suppose if I miss my period this month anyways, it could be due to the pill. I will still take an EPT if that happens.

I agree with you all when you say if a pregnancy happens, be happy because it's a miracle. It really would be if my dear husband and I start our family early.

Thanks again!

o

Statistically there is 1/5000 of a chance that you are pregnant, given the data.

o

You are right, you could miss a period. I have been on 3 dif. kinds of oral contraceptive, and on one I did not get a period for 3 months, because the hormone was too strong or something. Dont worry if you miss one, they will become lighter anyway, and less cramps. But if you miss 2 , time for a test/doctor visit.

Be aware though, side affects such as mood swing/depression can happen in the first few months....I experienced them heavily (I have never before or since had screaming, shoe-throwing fits, lol), but altogether, the pill has been a blessing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Marriage Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here