SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blane59

Man in lonely marriage...

blane59
13 years ago

How to begin... I am 50 year old married man. My wife is 46. We have been together for 17 years and married 14. We have a beautiful daughter who is going to be 12 soon. Like so many others, my marriage looks very solid from the outside. My wife and I have a beautiful home and we both have good jobs. We have no money problems. For the most part we get along very well. We really don't argue at all. The issue is intimacy, or actually the lack thereof. In the past 8 years, we have been intimate twice. For the longest time, the major factor in that was that my daughter insisted on sleeping with us in our bed. My wife and I discussed this many times, but never broke the cycle. If my daughter did sleep in her own bed, it was because my wife would go to bed with her and fall asleep with her. Then, about 2 years ago my wife lost her job. She was out of work for about a year and a half. She was very depressed and I tried to support her the best I could. She has since found a good job and my daughter is finally sleeping in her own bed.

Throughout the past 8 years, I have always tried to show my wife that I love her. I never go out at night with friends, we always do things together as a family. I still try and show her the little things like telling her I love her, hugging her, touching her. I think I do my share of things around the house... I do maintenance on the cars, all the yard work, I do 90% of the cooking, I get my daughter up for school and take her and usually pick her up from school, I do my own laundry. I try and support her in every way I can. I talk to her about her day at work. I am 100% invested in my daughter and her future. I think I am a husband that most women would want.

My wife just won't or can't show any affection. And I don't mean just sex. I would kill to at least have her roll over in bed at night and hold me. Don't get me wrong, I know she loves me. She does things for me that show me she does. But, the lack of at least the little affectionate things is killing me. We used to have a very close affectionate life together. I know that having our daughter had a profound effect on my wife, but that was almost 12 years ago.

I know we need to talk about it, but I really don't know how to start that conversation with her. Its been so long and it seems we have both just accepted this as our marriage. I am so lonely. Its like living with a room mate that I share a child with. I have gotten to the point where I need to do something. I have thought about an affair, just to be with someone to make me feel wanted. But that would be so empty. I have also thought about leaving my marriage, but my daughter is my whole world. I can't take so much away from her. I feel so trapped. I don't want to resent my wife, but I am 50 and I feel that if I don't do something now, it will be too late. I just want to be happy with someone in my life and share myself in the way I haven't been able to for a long time.

I know that the answers to my life aren't here, but I just can't keep this inside anymore. I just need someone to talk to I guess....

Comments (14)

Sponsored