SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurels4u

What would you do?

laurels4u
16 years ago

I got married a year ago and during that time, I had questioned my husband about the necessary changes that needed to be made on life insurance policies and retirement policies, to which he replied that he had taken care of them all. Eventhough I work full-time, I would never be able to keep our home if something would happen to him and he is fully aware of that. I take excellent care of our home which was a huge investment for us as well as both of our children. I have one from a previous marriage as does he, and I'm the second wife. Last week while speaking to the money market manager, I found out that he lied to me and his mother has been the beneficiary on his policies since his divorce. I immediately informed the manager that new papers needed to be sent to our house to make beneficiary changes. I told my husband I found out and that new papers were on their way. After signing the papers, DH looks at me and very matter of factly snapped at me that I had to take care of his son. His tone and the message that he delivered in that one sentence was enough to make me want to leave him right then and there! It's as if he feels I don't deserve to inherit a part of what he's accrued in a stupid 401K account during our marriage although I have invested my time, money, energy, and my hard earned paycheck into our home, life, and marriage. Furthermore, what really has me blazing red-hot mad is the fact that his mother HATES me and he has openly admitted that his mother would NEVER make sure my daughter and I were taken care of and he knows she would NEVER offer me a dime to keep our home and land, but for 11 months, he did nothing about it. I haven't mailed the beneficiary change back yet and I'm trying to decide if I should or not. I guess his flippant "you have to take of my son" statement keeps playing over and over in my head. What makes it worse is, I've done more for his son than he, his biological mother, or grandmother has, so to imply that I wouldn't tells me that my husband doesn't trust my character. And I'm not quite sure I trust him right now either.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH