SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindakimy

Am I being unreasonble?

lindakimy
13 years ago

I have a question and I simply don't know who to ask. I've considered all my friends and family and I guess I just don't want to go to people who know us. Most of them would feel awkward choosing between us and family is difficult enough as it is. Outside input is needed!

Here's the situation: My husband is 71 and I am 60. A few years ago he began having a lot of problems at work - disagreements with his boss, bad reports, etc. He wanted out and I felt that he was probably going to be out one way or another. He has worked for a lot of years although neither one of us has any sort of retirement plan except for social security. Nevertheless, I suggested that he retire (rather than get fired) since he would be getting SS and since I had no pension anyway I would just continue to work. That was 5 years ago. At least one of us could enjoy retirement.

I gave up my own free lance graphic design business and got a job for a printer that offered insurance since that was the biggest expense for me as a self employed person and since I could no longer be on my husband's insurance if he retired. He has Medicare and a supplement and I have a really crummy insurance where I work. But at least I have one.

My job is not very well paid. And...about a year and a half ago the company decided to cut all the employees back to 32 hours from 40. So I took a 20% cut in pay. There is no talk about going back to 40 hours and why should they? We still have to get the work done but now we do it 20% cheaper.

There is a lot about my job that I don't like. And, I'll admit, I have griped a lot to my husband. I thought I could let my hair down. At least it lets off steam.

However...my husband has decided that I need a different job. He got together with a guy he met at the bar he spends time in every afternoon. This guy works for a major corporation (if I told you the name you would know it). He used to be connected with HR somehow although he is not now. My husband sat down with me one evening and out of the blue said, "I wasn't going to tell you about this until it was a done deal, but..." Then he told me he had been in touch with this guy about trying to find a higher paying job for me at that big company. He wanted to invite the guy over and talk about it.

I wasn't terribly excited. Does anybody understand that? Why would it bother me that he wanted to do this all without talking with me? But I said o.k. Invite him over; I'll cook dinner. And I did. He asked for my resume and I sent it to him. I talked with him about how I felt I wasn't being paid what I was worth and that the company does not give raises (I didn't know that when I hired on). I talked about the stupid way the company is run: it's a family company and "practical" is not high on the list. Still, my job is quite secure and very easy. I can wear whatever I choose and I don't have to interact with the public (a big plus). If I want time off I need only tell them.

So. The guy sent a job posting. It was a few cents more per hour than mine but it was answering phones to hear complaints all day. I was not really excited. I didn't respond.

Then he sent another one. This one pays about twice what I make but it is for internet design on a fairly high level and I don't know anything about web design at all. I told my husband that I was sure I couldn't qualify for it and he got very angry. He snarled that I had learned new programs before and that I could do it again. I didn't respond.

I stifled myself and a few days passed. Today I got an email from the guy saying that he had sent in my resume and applied for the job for me. !!

This evening I tried to talk with my husband about this. I told him that I was not comfortable with this guy sending in my resume for jobs I had not wanted to apply for. I asked him to put himself in my place and imagine if I had gotten a friend of mine to send his resume in for a job he did not feel qualified for. He said (with attitude) that HE would have been GRATEFUL. That is SO not the case. I know him. He would have been livid.

I told him that I really wanted to be the one in charge of my life at least to this little extent - let me decide which jobs to apply for. He was angry. I said I would be happy if his friend would continue to look for prospects but I would like to be the one to decide which to apply for. He turned on his heel and went off to bed.

O.K. Am I being unreasonable? Am I crazy for feeling that my husband is manipulating me? Or that the guy is overstepping the bounds?

I know how I feel about this but I could use a reality check. Am I ungrateful? Or are they messing with me?

Comments (7)

Sponsored