SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

A Cautionary Tale?

sylviatexas1
16 years ago

Another thread reminded me of this, but I didn't want to muddy the waters there.

My Aunt Marie married young & had 3 children.

The older 2 moved out, married, & had families of their own.

The youngest son was different;

He seemed to function on many levels, but he just never got it all together.

He sometimes got angry, more often with his mother than his father.

In fact, he doted on his father, just couldn't do enough for him.

Since every "place of his own" turned out to be a disaster, this son lived at home.

When John retired, he got income from retirement benefits, but that income would cease upon his death.

Marie had always worked, always brought home her paycheck, & John handled all the money, banking, insurance, etc.

Since they still owed money on the house, Marie told John that she thought they needed mortgage cancellation insurance.

He said he'd handle it, & sure enough, premiums were deducted from the bank account automatically.

When John died suddenly, 2 things happened:

The insurance agent told Marie that the mortgage cancellation/credit life insurance was on her life only.

& the son told his mother to get out of *his* house:

his father said that he only had to get along with his mother until the father died, that Marie was "just a wife", & that he, John, was leaving the house to the son.

Marie had to get the sheriff to restrain her son from throwing her out of that house, & she had to work until she was in her 70's to pay it off.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022