SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teddy2020

I need help with a future mother in law!

teddy2020
15 years ago

I really need some help here. I'm not married to the man that I live with and we're very much in love. We plan on getting married in the future (we're 24 and 25), but we have a big problem. My futre mother in law dislikes me very much. Before I start I want to put on here that she is not a bad person... just difficult with me. Another issue that needs to be taken into consideration is that she lost one of her sons when he was 15 in a car crash. A lot of the issues started when we moved in together and moved far away. She told everyone that I was only dating him for his money (my family has more money than his) and that I was lazy, among other things. I quit a very promising job that I took when I had to stop college for a bit to move with him so it took a few weeks to find a new job since we moved to such a secluded place. She called every day and talked for at least 45 mins to him when he got home which didn't always bother me, but could be overwhelming. Eventually we moved back to our home state and (even though I said it was the worst idea ever) bought a house 2.3 miles from her house. Again, it was a smaller town and it took me some time to find a job. When I did find one it wasn't the best, but it was a paycheck. We also got a dog in the middle of all of this. Here's the issue. She insisted on having a key to our house in case there was an emergency. I said it was a bad idea, he said it was. She got the key. The "emergency" she used the key for was usually if we didn't come to the door fast enough. She, on more than one occasion, walked in on us asleep in our bedroom for no reason. Just because she thought we should get up. She tells my dog to call her mommy, not me, and refuses to help with the training we had to do to stop her from jumping. She said, "She does that because she loves me so much." She also came by every day and once came by twice and called three times before noon. If she didn't come by it was unusual. The real issue I've had is her lack of respect for me. She frequently tell her family and my friends, people I see often, that I'm "running around spending money I don't have". The last time was because I was in a wedding and had to drive across the state to go to it. I don't think it would bother me so much if she didn't treat her other DIL with such amazing respect and love. She does this because this DIL was her son's boss so she makes more money than him. My boyfriend sticks up for me, but I can't and won't keep him from his mother. I was told at one time that if I got my degree and a good job she would respect me, but if that's the only thing she cares about I'm not sure if I want it. If this helps any of you out with advice on what I should do I was also told that, "In your family it's enough for someone to be a good person, but in my family that's expected. Now what else can you do?" PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I EXPLODE! We don't want to get married yet because of her. What if it never...

Comments (12)

Sponsored